What Backtesting Platform do you use?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Baron, Oct 28, 2005.

What Backtesting Platform do you use?

1. TradeStation 4.0

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. TradeStation 2000i

10 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. TradeStation 6.0 or higher

40 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. Metastock

8 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. Wealth Labs (Software)

29 vote(s)
    14.1%
  6. Wealth Labs (Fidelity)

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  7. TickQuest NeoTicker

17 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. AmiBroker

40 vote(s)
    19.4%
  9. TradersStudio

9 vote(s)
    4.4%
  10. Other

44 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. StrataSearch

#11     Oct 29, 2005
  2. very satisfied with Tradestation 8, hardly not too long to pick
    the language and now trying to learn some C++ coding
    required to use for EL extension sdk. I prefer it over the
    wealthlab in many areas, and did extensive research before
    going with Tradestation. Also i found Wealthscript very
    similar to easylanguage, no difficulty to shift if i need to,
    But EL is better documented and offers more functions

Never touched Qunatdeveloper, Do you need to be be
    fluent in C++ in order to use it?

Also any better read-made framework than quantdeveloper
    in market with subscription and open source code?

#12     Oct 30, 2005
  3. ehsmama

ehsmama

I put other - because I use Wealthlab and Trading Recipes.
    Happy with both.
    Rajiv

#13     Oct 30, 2005
  4. This appears to be a good place to ask this question! I am looking to upgrade my trading analysis software and am trying to be thorough in my 'due diligence' before I commit to buying a software package.

Currently, I use TS 4.0 because it is and has been stable, but there are many things that it is unable to do.

I am looking for a package that can be used to test a system across a basket of markets (could be a couple of markets to as many as 50) and then optimizing the system on the basket. I know that there are analysis packages out there that claim to be able to accomplish this. Can they really do what they advertize and what hoops must be jumped through to perform the testing and at what cost?

Thanks

#14     Oct 30, 2005
  5. I mainly use my own home grown platform that I developed. It’s features include a variety of data mining tools, GA optimization, customized optimization objective functions, automatic in-sample/out-of–sample testing with statistical analysis, portfolio optimization (optimize parameter across issues or separately), portfolio position sizing, and a number of other features that I experiment with (e.g., fuzzy logic, neurofuzzy networks, etc.)

Because all my strategies are compiled into binary executables (not interpreted as is done most commercial platforms) my backtesting runs at least 10 times faster (not to mention the benefits of GA optimization).

I also use TradeStation and NeuroShell DayTrader.

#15     Oct 30, 2005
  6. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

When I designed TradersStudio I design it to make the portfolio level testing as easy to use as possible. Here is a link to a free tutorial on TradersStudio.com

http://www.tradersstudio.com/Default.aspx?tabid=81

This shows you how to test a simple system on a basket of markets. When running a system you can look at the consolidated results across all the markets or any individual market with just one mouse click.

When dealing with optimization across a portfolio for a given system TradersStudio has no equal. First you don't have to make any changes to your system to do an optimization, the same version you run to get your trades is the same you optimize. This means that you can optimize even black box systems, if they allow you to set your own parameters.
    Our metaphor for optimization is the same as TradeStation, except that we work at the portfolio level and TradeStation does not. You simply select optimize and set a start,stop and step parameters for each parameter the system has.

TradersStudio allows you to optimize a system on a basket of one to as many as hundreds of markets. Finally the same optimization produces both portfolio level results as well as the results on each individual market. You can view any combination of these you want with just one mouse click. This would allow you to pick the best set of parameters with one of your criteria’s being tradable on at least one meat for example without having to rerun you results.

Please take the time to view this tutorial; I am sure you will find it informative. I hope other vendors or customers of other products will discuss the steps involved in portfolio level testing in their product. If you have questions feel free to ask.

#16     Oct 31, 2005
  7. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

Yes give me the big list, we can have 100 pages of entries in this thread

#17     Oct 31, 2005
  8. Did you buy the license or are you on the monthly scheme?

#18     Oct 31, 2005
  9. In comparing trading platforms, I have found that TradersStudio is $499 and AmiBroker is $229. On their website, AmiBroker claims to do much the same thing as TradersStudio. Why is it so much less?

The earlier thread by MR mentioned that some platforms require system alteration to perform portfolio level optimization. Can someone tell me which platforms require special coding (if any)?

I watched the video on the TradersStudio website as mentioned in the earlier thread and it appeared that portfolio optimization is as simple as described. Basically, it is point and click.

Can someone give me an idea how to optimize a system in Amibroker on a basket of markets? I have looked at their website and was fairly impressed with the content, but was left wondering what steps were necessary to actually make the program do optimization at the portfolio level.

Thanks

#19     Oct 31, 2005
  10. #20     Oct 31, 2005