What background colors are you currently using for your charts?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by 4XIS4U, Feb 28, 2007.

1. GS19

GS19

Spyder,
    With a white background it is easier to download and print your charts. With a gray background the contrast is less and harder to see channels and FFT.

GS19

#11     Feb 28, 2007
  2. My eye doctor said . . .

Eggshell background will have you seeing well into your 90's.

Dark backgrounds will have you in pain by your 70's.

I'm 50.

#12     Feb 28, 2007
  3. ==============
    4X;

Yes,
    and also lighter charts on larger timeframe; next to a window, natural sunlight, keeps me from staring at screen continually.:cool:

Carrots eaten do seem to help.:p

#13     Feb 28, 2007
  4. I like shades of grey for background and solid greens and reds for candles. White background cause me eye strain. I like my ma lines thick and easy to spot.

#14     Feb 28, 2007
  5. Sierra Charts show as grey background and print as white, perfect. You will burn through a lot of $$$ ink cartridges printing all stuff in colors.

#15     Feb 28, 2007
  6. Black background. Green + candles, red - candles. The standard QuoteTracker defaults.

#16     Feb 28, 2007
  7. The only thing that bothers me about QT's candles is you cannot use both solid and hollow candles at once in the same chart.

That means if you have a down day that closes higher than the open, you'll see a green candle, even though overall it was a down day. Vice versa if you're up on a day but close below the open, you'll have a red candle on an up day. That paints an imcomplete picture.

Take a look at the attached chart comparison, you'll see exactly what I mean. QT is on the right, with just its simple red/green. On the right is stockcharts.com, which uses both hollow and solid candles, allowing you to see a better picture of what happened on each day.

I've emailed Gerry Medved about this, but he said it cannot be coded differently. The only thing I might be able to do is code paintbars to show a different color on those types of candles, perhaps a different shade of red/green..

Don't even get me started on why certain candles are different sizes in those identical charts of the $HSI, that's troubling... Also, if I load up any identical chart in QT and stockcharts.com, almost every indicator spits out a different value from each source.. *sigh*

#17     Feb 28, 2007
  8. 4XIS4U

4XIS4U

Thanks KGB -- I agree, to be honest I really like the Tradestation Candles, wicks and body have different colors... most software packages don't allow for that... including Ensign...

#18     Feb 28, 2007
  9. I agree with Prof - you do NOT want a dark background if you want to keep your eyes in decent shape. There is a reason why books, magazines, etc. typically all have white background and dark text.

I used to have black background and colored candles till I read up on this and asked my eye doctor. I don't use white for charts - just a light/pastel blue. It's very light though.

#19     Feb 28, 2007
  10. Thanks I'll try that. Could turn out to be one of the more valuable posts I've read on ET. :)

#20     Mar 1, 2007