What attracted you to trading?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ADX_trader, Sep 8, 2003.

1. only takes up 1/2 day leaving me free to do intellectual interests as a respite from the money making.

#11     Sep 8, 2003
  2. nitro

nitro

I like to play challenging games.

Trading is the biggest game in town.

nitro

#12     Sep 8, 2003
  3. Nothing in particular : it is a crook that attracted my money on the US/Deutchmark market 8 years ago :D so I told myself hey never again I want to understand what happens there. I jumped straight in futures market without nearly knowing actions market before (in fact I have looked at actions market and realised straight away that volatility and leverage weren't worth trading compared to future.)

#13     Sep 8, 2003
  4. My previous jobe was paying good, But limited potential.
    I needed more freedom in my business creativity and for
    my life as well.

#14     Sep 8, 2003
  5. gms

gms

Wanted a business where I don't have to advertise, don't have to stock inventory, don't have to deal with customers, the public, or staff or co-workers. Didn't want to commute, not get involved with sales or consultations or call backs or any phone calls with customers, did not want to leave the house for any aspect of the job or do anything physical anymore, and yet have the ability to earn big time.

That's trading.

That dbphoenix is concurrently naked is just a bonus, I'm sure you all agree.

#15     Sep 8, 2003
  6. Roscoe

Roscoe

To me, trading equals freedom - I and I alone am responsible for my actions and the results of those actions.

I do not like (and never did like) having to rely on other people for a living. That and the increasing level of petty politics in my former profession (engineering) helped me to move to trading for a living.

#16     Sep 8, 2003
  7. blb078

blb078

maria bartiromo

lol!!!

no it's definately the freedom, and not having no one telling me what to do.

#17     Sep 8, 2003
  8. mdmbud

mdmbud

I figured I could lose all my money through
    divorce or trading. I chose TRADING!

#18     Sep 8, 2003
  9. Let's face it: most of us are Geeks with a capital G. We enjoy #'s, charts, stats, gaming. For me if you throw in the unbelievable bonus that I may one day to be able to retire early w/o having to do anything illegal is quite enticing.:D

#19     Sep 8, 2003
  10. TGregg

TGregg

In order of importance:

Trading is challenging
    Trading is my pastime
    Work and live anywhere
    Help me avoid the rat race/politics in business
    Trading is easier than doing other jobs

Possibly the best is that I have no boss, no customers, no inventory, no selling, none of the hassles that are involved in just about every business one can own. Just today I was thinking about all the stupid decisions my previous managers have made, things like canceling flex time and instituting a dress code (O/E Systems), promoting a bunch of incompetent babes to management (Microsoft), hiring an idiot for a fortune then sending him out to ruin the milk cow project (Pathway Systems), the list is endless.

Now I just laugh. They are free to ruin their companies, and it does not impact me. They can implement the most ludicrous 97 page reporting requirements, 25 hour weekly meetings, 250 word mission statements all they want, and it has no effect on me. And that makes me smile. So I don't think that is part of the "avoid the rat race" answer, but it is a major part of why I trade. Because when I trade, the idiots make money for me, instead of adding misery to my life as in the corporate world.

#20     Sep 8, 2003