What are your Trading Breakthroughs?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by mmm, Dec 5, 2003.

1. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

And the nature of your breakthrough was . . . :confused:

#41     Dec 6, 2003
  2. dpanic

dpanic

It is funny to hear you say this as I have a very similar experience. When I first started trading futures, I had no fear and did very well for a while but my experience/methodology wasn't good enuf to survive the market when it changed so I took a sizable drawdown. Then the fear came, I reduced to 1-3 lot trading and developed all the habits of a fearful trader. Couldn't seem to get past it. One day I realized that my trading methodology was actually quite sound but I just wasn't managing my trades correct because of fear so I said F@%& THIS... it's do or die time I have to deal with this as I trade for a living so my life is depending upon conquering this problem. I will not survive as a 1 lot trader, I have sufficient capital to trade size, my trading plan is sound so just F@%&ing do it. It seemed that when I started trading size again it forced me to deal with the fear. Was really the point that I turned things around.

#42     Dec 7, 2003
  3. During the time period I mentioned before, about 2 1/2 years ago, I removed my P&L window from my continuous view. I have stated this comment before that IMO watching your P&L window during a trade is like having a crack addiction. You should be watching price action and managing your trade...not fixating on the P&L window distracted from what the market is doing. A periodic review of the P&L window after each trade completion or portional scale out is more appropriate IMO.

Chris

#43     Dec 7, 2003
  4. mmm

mmm

In a similar manner, I found tracking my trade P&L, both in real time and historically, in terms of points instead of dollars to be helpful psychologically. For me, losing 20 points has a lot less sting than losing $1000 (when trading the ES).

-- M

#44     Dec 7, 2003
  5. One of the breakthroughs is having to believe (probability-wise) in the breakthroughs! :D

#45     Dec 7, 2003
  6. Overcoming "hope" in my trading has helped me tremendously. I no longer "hope" for a trade to work out. I trade what I see and if the tape/chart disagrees with me, then I'm out.

On the flip side, "fear" has been getting in my way of making big money. I've found that since I no longer "hope" for my price targets, I "fear" and lock my profits quickly or take my losses faster than I should.

I prefer having fear in my trading than hope, but both can be harmful. Once those two are managed properly, then one has just turned the corner.

#46     Dec 8, 2003
  7. You can have both hope and fear, but in the right situation.

Jesse Livermore states that we should have hope in a winning trade and fear in a losing trade. That way you are able to let winners run and cut losses short. The obstacle is the human mind which unfortunately works the other way round.

#47     Feb 12, 2004
  8. Cheese

Cheese

"..it would be reaching an understanding of the nature of probability.." dbphoenix

Well that is the zero sum dynamic (ie Dow). Do your research; set up your model.

After that, well, 'Piece of cake, Gordon' as Bud Fox might say to Gordon Gekko.

#48     Feb 12, 2004
  9. prox

prox

Getting out of a trade if it does not behave as expected, since it will almost always do the exact opposite.

#49     Feb 12, 2004
  10. iriekity

iriekity

Since I am in over 20 positions at any one time I just focus on P/L only, I have a blotter that is sorted by P/L and this approach really helps identify losers and winners very quickly. The P/L does not lie it tells you exactly where you are.

#50     Feb 12, 2004