What are your thoughts on the new 2% rule recently implemented by Topstep Trader on funded accounts?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by StockTrader100k, May 20, 2020.

1. Hello Turveyd,

I am in stage 2 and about $800 a way from earning funded.

There are many many i know that made money through TopStepTrader and pulled out money and still there making money. My 2 friends made money through them several times. It is a very good program if you having trading skills and not bullshitting around.

#11     May 20, 2020
    Turveyd likes this.
  2. Overnight

Overnight

If you have trading skills, why would need them in the first place?

#12     May 20, 2020
  3. Because I do not want to risk my real capital just yet. Why risk my capital, when I can risk their's for about $160 per month. Win win for me while my capital is out making other business moves. And their rules keep me discipline. Their trailing drawdown keeps me for getting outline, especially their weekly loss limit.

Keep your mind on your money Overnight, not the bullshit

#13     May 20, 2020
    Laissez Faire likes this.
  4. Turveyd

Turveyd

No Capital, obviously it'll interest poor people like myself.

Trying to find a way to consistently beat this, might have cracked it FINALLY!!

Keep me posted, be good to see someone get something for there $160 monthly fee.

#14     May 20, 2020
    SimpleMeLike likes this.
  5. Keep grinding Turveyd and measure your results. That is what I do.

it is not about being poor or whatever. My friend is a doctor and make good money and he is in TopStepTrader as well. Another friend owns a bike shop and he trades topsteptrader. Again, everyone knows odds of losing is high, so why risk your own money up front. Keep your capital for other moves.

#15     May 20, 2020
    Sekiyo likes this.
  6. gaussian

gaussian

So you don't have to go along with a dog and pony show to keep 80%.

Trade MES and define your own risk rules. Or get involved with a more exclusive prop. Your choice. One should ask what TST has to gain from charging $160/mo for a "trial" rather than just making the trader's capital at first loss.

Really makes you think...

The obvious non-political answer even their own people might respond to this post with is "many traders do not have the capital to trade their own accounts even levered by a prop with their money at first loss". Which begs the question again... what does TST have to gain from charging $160/mo?

It's a brilliant business model. My hats off to them. Wish I thought of it. I could be raking in the dough $160/mo for pikers to play in my sim :). Maybe even fund a few good ones with the losses from the rest.

EDIT:

So it doesn't sound like I'm just saying this to stir up shit with a sponsor I had difficulty finding the number of "attempts" per month that failed and never returned. Call it "training trader turnover". What I do know from the home page 365 traders (assuming this is audited?) have made it in 2020. Lets just give a conservative 100x to that number. 36500 traders have attempted. So this nets around 5.8 million dollars. My thesis is that they are using failed trader dollars to fund other "successful" traders - creating a sort of trader-arbitrage prop that delivers more-or-less risk free return to them as some multiple on net earnings.

Absolutely brilliant.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    #16     May 20, 2020
  7. Overnight

Overnight

Oh yeah, I know Gin Juice, yo.

#17     May 20, 2020
  8. I keep 100% of the first $5000 made, then I redraw and go open my own broker account. Win win scenario

#18     May 20, 2020
  9. Overnight

Overnight

I also always thought it was a brilliant business model. But imagine how much MORE brilliant it would be if they were honest about what was really going on? An informed trader is a smarter trader. If they know what they are truly working with, maybe they will not take the risks they currently do?

#19     May 20, 2020
  10. gaussian

gaussian

I edited my post.

I don't think they're risking anything at all. It's an arbitrage play. If they do it right they can take almost risk free earnings and some multiple of trader capital. It's incredible. An absolutely incredible business plan.

#20     May 20, 2020
    VPhantom and fan27 like this.