What are your repetition ranges and cadence for resistance training?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, Nov 23, 2018.

1. As the thread title implies, if you engage in resistance training of any kind (free weights, machines, body weight), I'm curious to know what rep speed you use and how many reps you typically perform per set or exercise. If you use different ranges or speeds for different exercises or muscle groups, please make note of it.

I think the topic could make for an interesting discussion.

2. Having just returned from the gym it's fresh in my tired muscles. In a nutshell the reps have a slower cadence with each set. As the weight increases and number of reps decreases I slow the speed of both the concentric and the eccentric.

3. Approximately how many seconds concentric and how many seconds eccentric? How many reps?

4. I start with 8-12 reps depending on what the exercise is. Final set is typically 4-6 reps. Usually a total of 5-6 sets.
    Concentric is a 1-2 count, eccentric 4-6 on the final set. Sets working up to that are quicker, but that too depends on the type of exercise. Lets say I'm doing a cable crossover. That count would be quicker than say a dumbbell curl, dumbbell overhead press. Essentially free weights I go slower, little quicker with machines. And all of is the case when I'm just doing about 85% of my max for a total workout. On the occasions I go to my 1-2 rep max, which is about twice a month, the tempo is just lift/push the damn thing. I'm currently doing full body with emphasis on the upper, next workout full body with emphasis on the lower, isolation exercise on the next workout. One day rest in-between, 3 days rest after the heavy lift days.

5. Interesting, thanks. That's a fair amount of sets per exercise. How many total sets per workout? How much rest between sets? How long does your full workout last?

6. Workouts these days last about 55-65 minutes. I rest about 30-45 seconds between sets, longer on the heavy days. I never could manage to rest longer between sets which probably limits me on the last sets. Total sets vary and I can't say I've ever kept an exact count. I do that over the course of the next few days and let you know. I should say the first two sets in any exercise I consider warm up

7. I'm curious. Why can't you manage to rest longer between sets?

8. To be honest I suppose it shows the nature of my personality. Projects are meant to be completed and efficiently with complete focus on the task at hand. When it comes to working out I just don't know what I'd do with myself for 3-5 minutes between sets. How do you stay focused? I'm not saying it's impossible, I just don't know how I'd do it.

9. Rest?
    It's pretty much the only way I know how to do it: resting and getting focused for the next exercise. Now that I'm doing far fewer sets, I'm resting even longer to make sure that every set is epic. The only way I can do that is to be sufficiently rested between sets, so ~3 minutes is presently my benchmark. Except for calf raises, all of the exercises are compound, and I go to full positive static failure, finishing with a very slow negative.

You didn't mention how close to failure you go.

I've tried shorter rest periods along the lines you suggest, but it never felt right. Right or wrong, It always felt like I was compromising the next set. There are people whose work on the subject I respect and who favor fairly short breaks between sets, but, as the song goes:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    CaptainObvious likes this.
  10. When form fails that is my last rep

#10     Nov 23, 2018