What are your favorite, most reliable indicators?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by dylan57, Dec 23, 2007.

What is your favorite indicator?

1. MACD

35 vote(s)
    18.1%
  2. RSI

19 vote(s)
    9.8%
  3. Fast Stochastics

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. Slow Stochastics

12 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. Williams %r

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. Commodity channel index

13 vote(s)
    6.7%
  7. Bollinger bands

16 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. other

92 vote(s)
    47.7%
  1. JBTrade

JBTrade

I’m honestly just a little confused - did I get that from you, or did you get that from me?

#51     Jan 17, 2008
  2. wickcity

wickcity

Price.

#52     Jan 17, 2008
  3. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

i wanted to say that i abandoned any use of a particular future contracts volume a long time ago as having any benefit to mechanical trading. i would not use a stocks volume either for trading stocks.

i do use a combination of indicators and price action or patterns in combination to make successful mechanical models.

mb

#53     Jan 17, 2008
  4. without a doubt, the "hemline" indicator.

#54     Jan 22, 2008
  5. The "adams apple" and "crotch bulge" indicators. When you see those, you know its not a lady, so back away....slowly.

#55     Jan 22, 2008
  6. Gary Fox

Gary Fox

Hello Mark,

For some reason, I always thought you did not use indicators in your mechanical systems. Can you discuss the indicators you have found to be of value?

TIA

GF

#56     Jan 22, 2008
  7. LISTEN UP. THIS SHOULD PUT THE LID ON INDICATORS FOR GOOD.

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH AN INDICATOR IS THAT NO MATTER HOW THE MARKET LOOKS, THE DAMN FORMULA WILL ALWAYS, I REPEAT ALWAYS, HAVE A VALUE FOR YOU.

EVEN IF PRICE WOULD MOVE FROM RIGHT TO LEFT I STILL BET IT WILL DISPLAY A VALUE.

USE YOUR EYES. WHEN THE MARKET LOOKS CLEAR THEN IT'S TIME TO ACT. WHEN IT'S NOISE AND LOOKS UPSIDE DOWN AND ALL AROUND, STAND ASIDE. DON'T RELY ON INDICATORS TO TELL YOU WHAT YOUR EYES HAVE TO SEE AT A FREAKIN GLANCE.

Whew. That's it!

#57     Jan 22, 2008
  8. Nicely stated but too simple for most to understand.

#58     Jan 22, 2008
  9. Well. I did my part. The only way one can trade successfully ACROSS ALL markets and TIMEFRAMES is to disregard everything about technical analysis that was written from 1960 until 2008. Everything you need was there before indicators came apop.

#59     Jan 22, 2008
  10. :eek: My indicator

#60     Jan 22, 2008