What are you presently reading?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by mikeriley, Feb 21, 2022.

1. zghorner

zghorner

don't you dare bash anyone for reading Don Quixote lol...easy top 5 book of all time.

#11     Feb 21, 2022
  2. easymon1

easymon1

What's the skinny on the SL methods?

Alex Hamilton 2.0 out of 5 stars Very badly written!!
    Reviewed in the United States on December 13, 2013
    Im not saying that Mr. Person does not know what he is doing, but the book really leaves a lot to be desired. It also has only 3 setups in there, all of which do not happen frequently at all (i.e. doji at pivot point, etc.)

Yeah that crap Never Works...
    cl 5m candlesticks at pivs and tl.png
    "Trading an Engulfing Candle at Support & Resistance provides greater conviction."
    https://elitetrader.com/et/threads/...t-right-here-baby.335635/page-10#post-5014575

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    #12     Feb 21, 2022
    mikeriley likes this.
  3. Nobert

Nobert

(Smiles)
    Noted.

Guy finished the book. 3 years ago.
    Haven't got into the markets, as of yet.

P.s. I think Les had a similar story about a coworker reading some stuff while day dreaming about different things.

#13     Feb 21, 2022
    morganpbrown and zghorner like this.
  4. SunTrader

SunTrader

Rereading that one currently, first time since I bought it back in nineteen hundred and ninety eight and still a stonk trader. :)

But my copy just says (including dust jacket) 2nd part "It's when you sell that counts".

+ + +

I am also rereading another one from back in the day "Just Six Numbers" by Martin Rees - which is unrelated to the markets. Big bang and all.

#14     Feb 21, 2022
    mikeriley likes this.
  5. I am currently enjoying "Probabilities and strategies of surviving a nuclear war". Some really good insight and great strategies in there.

#15     Feb 21, 2022
    Leob, zdreg and mikeriley like this.
  6. .

Hey Easymon,

Regarding Person's book, it has a higher-than-unexpected number of mistakes in the text and the figures, but not so much that I couldn't understand his explanations. It's a long and extremely detailed book with lots of charts and I enjoyed reading it.

Regarding trailing stops, two of his methods are called LCC (Last Conditional Change) and 2LCC (two period-LCC).

The idea of regular LCC is pretty simple: after entering a trade long, only move the stop-loss upwards when the close of a new candle is above the high of the previous candle; when that happens, move the stop-loss so it is just under the new candle. The 2LCC method trails more slowly by requiring that one wait to move the stop-loss until two consecutive closes are above previous highs. LCC tested well with my manually traded, rules-based swing trading systems using daily charts.

#16     Feb 21, 2022
    Leob and easymon1 like this.
  7. easymon1

easymon1

Old Alex Hamilton, That reviewer on amazon be carpin' cause only three setups... carpin' cause too much fluff.
    That's his own fault for not knowing what he wanted from the book and 2, not knowing how to test what he Did find. Maybe he'd like this one... - How to Read a Book: The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading

#17     Feb 21, 2022
  8. hilmy83

hilmy83

reading "manufacturing consent"

#18     Feb 21, 2022
    Sprout and mikeriley like this.
  9. mikeriley

mikeriley

Unfortunately through technology they've greatly enhanced Edward Bernay's craft.

#19     Feb 21, 2022
    Sprout likes this.
  10. deaddog

deaddog

My copy was copyrighted in 1991. Don't remember when I bought it but it was from a used book dealer. The price tag is still on it. $2.00

#20     Feb 21, 2022
    murray t turtle likes this.