What are you presently reading?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by mikeriley, Feb 21, 2022.

1. volpri

volpri

Why in the dickens are you here on ET then?

#141     Jun 5, 2022
  2. People should wake up....from all the hype, nonsense and bs, and ignorance and misinformation....that exists in the movie industry, music industry, book/publishing industry, social media industry, shopping industry, fashion industry, education industry, religion industry -- and everything else in between.
    It greatly sours me to observe so many people, rather blindedly, soak up all of the nonsense that exists in humanity just to benefit and enrich and empower the people at the top creating those things and pulling the strings.
    This thread was about books.

#142     Jun 5, 2022
  3. volpri

volpri

And ET what is it?

#143     Jun 5, 2022
  4. Well, checking in here for an update.

I am 70 pages into Practical Speculation, and I do enjoy the book so far. Niederhoffer posts some of the hate mail he used to get. Talks about his never-ending night-mares of the 97 crash he goes through. And then starts to cut-up Shiller's Irrational Exuberance book and PE theories, much like Taleb trashes Soros' Alchemy of Finance book.

Some brief touching on how CEO's cook the books in multiple ways on the financial statements, followed by bogus institutional recommendations... resulting in flawed expectations.

Now, to start chapter III...

#144     Jun 5, 2022
  5. Let me know when that magical book of wisdom and greatness makes you a millionaire, or thousandaire, or hundredaire, -- I won't be holding my breath and waiting.

I could literally make a million bucks in the market. And then go on to write my own book of deep wisdoms, life lessons and observations....and it would seem so incredibly profound.

Honest question...if I made a million bucks in the market, and wrote a book as Bob Smith/average man....would you buy my book and read it whole heartedly? In the same regard, light, as those other well-known traders/teachers/educators/salesmen are.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    #145     Jun 6, 2022
  6. Overnight

Overnight

I would not buy your book, because you still have not answered the question from me on why you bashed me in your first interaction with me, and claimed I traded through pure luck. I also want to know which previous poster you are.

Dude, I am going to chase you all around this forum until you answer those two questions.

No sleep for j00!

#146     Jun 6, 2022
    MacBookProHo likes this.
  7. Won't be for a while I'm afraid. After getting butchered by the war in Europe, etc. I've lost close to a quarter mil this year. On the other hand, I did make stupid amounts of money the last two years, so I'm still just over half a mil in my primary trading account.

If crypto goes ballistic in a few years, I'll be sitting at those 7-digit figures. If not well... I'm still over half-way there.

Now that I think of it, with the stupid inflation numbers out there, even the poorest of the poor will be a millionaire in a few years.

That said, I assure you that the Niederhoffer brothers know a lot more about trading/economics than you and me.

#147     Jun 6, 2022
  8. Everyone did nicely in the market over the past two years with the vasts amounts of economic stimulus money being pumped into the economy. That doesn't necessarily make someone a wise, intelligent, sharp, great trader. That just makes you another cheerleader sheep cheering on the market to rise to the moon by drinking the same party Kool-Aid.
    Similar thing can be said for all the (so-called) trading experts of the 90's, and housing experts of the mid-2000's. The trick is being able to crank out a profit day in, day out, more or less consistently. Separate yourself from the heard, truly.

If you want to learn about economics....consult a college professor or politician or book author.
    If you want to learn about trading....you should consult one of the rare, reclusive, weirdos online who have no social media agenda or presence.
    Remember, everyone is constantly selling something.

#148     Jun 6, 2022
  9. Do you realize how much you contradict yourself in this thread?

#149     Jun 6, 2022
  10. Well, this is a trading...forum. We're all here, I assume, to Make Money from actually trading the market actively. Not here to theorize, and think like some college classroom lecture or thick book hypothesis endlessly.

My point is most, if not all, book authors and teachers can't actually trade for sh8t, for real live money returns, in the real everyday market. Consistently. So why on earth would you want to spend your time, mind, and money consuming those types of guys....just for fake, ideally useless, brain filler,

#150     Jun 6, 2022