What are you presently reading?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by mikeriley, Feb 21, 2022.

1. zghorner

zghorner

some spoilers listed below for anyone who plans to read this book maybe just skip this post...

agree 100% with everything you said...truly an epic book that, although its incredibly long stays interesting the entire time...easily on my top 10 but found a few things to be annoying. Maybe its because Musashi doesn't fit the western ideal of a "hero".

When he gave up the search for Otsu so easily it really irked me. I know the theme of the book is complete devotion to one singular goal and to not allow oneself to be conquered by the love of a woman...but still...poor Otsu lol.

Also started to build up Otsu being Iori's long lost sister and I was really expecting an emotional reunion of sorts between the two that never happened. While reading it I felt desperate for Otsu to be happy and I consider this a missed opportunity to give her some joy. Maybe Yoshikawa felt it would betray his representation of aloneness and suffering idk.

Also, you very much should consider watching the "The Samurai Trilogy" if you have not already. It is a 3 part movie adaptation of "Musashi" made in the 1950's...the casting is perfection and they are very much worth the watch.

Sad to hear you haven't really enjoyed "Shogun"...it has been on my short list of pleasure reading for a while now.

#101     Apr 24, 2022
    Sprout and murray t turtle like this.
  2. Yes. I'm not sure I've read any books which had a good pace and kept things interesting from start to end at such a length. As it's a big book I had decided to give it only 50 pages and give up if it felt like a drag as I was going on Holiday and wanted to unwind, but I got sucked right in from the start.

Thank you for those recommendations. I'll make sure to check them out.

Oh. And Shogun. I actually gave up, I think. Maybe I should give it another go. I don't really have any complaints, but let's just say it felt more like a drag to read compared with Musashi.

#102     Apr 24, 2022
    zghorner likes this.
  3. So, last night instead of doing taxes I had to spend the night until the next day with my mom in the hospital for REASONs. Like waiting 9 hours for a doctor because... supply problems.

God help my country when the liberals succeed in cancel-culturing our last tar-sands companies, as a lot of our funding for emergencies comes from their taxation and already seems the government cant afford it!

So, I did a bit of reading during all that waiting. Finished one and a half books, and then I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer.

First one was the Standard & Poor's guide. It was ok I guess for a rehash on financial statement ratios, etc. But nothing too revolutionary to me.

Unknown-1.jpeg

I am half-way on an old Bitcoin book now. Funny thing is I remember I started to read this one back in 2017 or so, but then had to return it to the library before I could complete it. Now I am finally trying to finish, albeit a tad late. LOL

81f1HQ1-esL.jpg

#103     Apr 27, 2022
  4. Nothing in particular about trading.
    Have read a few good ones in the past like The Alchemy of Finance by George Soros and The Little Book of Currency Trading: How to Make Big Profits in the World of Forex by Kathy Lien.

#104     May 3, 2022
  5. I read the Alchemy of Finance more than once, and both times came to the same conclusion of N. Taleb. It's a shit book, and makes no sense while Soros just contradicts himself.

The whole reason I read it a second time was I thought I must not be understanding Soros right, and just too dumb to get his non-sense. On the other hand, Taleb's writings make plenty of sense.

That said, I finished reading that Bitcoin: And the future of money book today. Nothing special there, but I guess it wasn't too bad for a book published in 2014 on crypto, lol.

And so, I cracked open another book on my desk around lunch:

Aftermath.jpg

This one looks eerily similar to another 'aftermath' type book regarding a similar theme.

#105     May 3, 2022
  6. %%
    THAT one is highly rated\ but not as high as his other Top Traders Books.
    I figure his ''Getting Started In Technical Analysis'' is his least helpful book ; but i still enjoy it + would recommend that for his one color charts...........................................................................I dont recommend one color charts but do recommend that book:caution::caution:

#106     May 6, 2022
  7. Catching the Wolf of Wall Street.

A few hours into the audiobook now. I basically wanted to get a sightly different narrative than the movie.

#107     May 12, 2022
  8. I have been a forex trader for a long time and now I am focusing on crypto trading. I have recently started reading The Book of Satoshi. I just wonder why Satoshi didn’t choose to become famous.

#108     May 12, 2022
  9. %%
    I like shotgun+ rifle reads.:D:D
    And read =study my color candle charts........................................

#109     May 12, 2022
  10. I have just finished getting through the audiobook for "Catching the Wolf of Wall Street" now. To be honest, I found a lot of it boring, but some of it was educational, if you like to see how things work with lawyers and the government, etc. Didn't really care much for the sex stuff (guess I am getting old?)

The ending was a bit interesting. There he starts to talk about sitting down to write the actual book you have just read :)

Soon I will try to move on and get to Niederhoffer's last book, as I still haven't had time to read it in years. Soon.. soon.. soon!

#110     May 14, 2022