What are the tax implications of trading profit?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ScottCarsonMVP, Feb 12, 2019.

1. What are the tax implications of trading profit?

2. wartrace

wartrace

Implications are you pay tax on profits. Any other questions I can help you with?

tommcginnis likes this.
  3. [​IMG]

wartrace likes this.
  4. wartrace

wartrace

Sorry; I didn't mean to feed the troll. :banghead:

5. Felix168

Felix168

There is not much information given in your question... which makes it a bit hard to help. Let me try nonetheless, but I will need to make quite a few assumptions.

Assuming you are located in the US, and are trading equities, you will need to tax your capital gains, when a taxable event occurs, i.e. you sell your shares. Until then, you don't pay taxes, regardless of the (unrealized) gains. Now, when you sell your shares, there is an important distinction: if you held the shares for one year or less, you pay tax on short-term capital gains, which is the same rate as your income tax. If you held your shares for more than one year, you pay tax on long-term capital gains, which is a reduced rate of 15 or 20%. Losses can be deducted from other taxes, but no more than $6k per year. When you sell shares, and buy essentially the same investment again within 30 days or less, this is considered a wash sale. For wash sales, you can't deduct the loss; instead the loss is added to the cost basis of the next trade.

Options on indices are tax advantaged; capital gains are considered 60% long-term, and only 40% short-term. I don't know about futures.

Cheers, Felix

6. actually, max loss deduction per year is $3k. but let say you have more than $3k loss like $6k. you can deduct $3k, and then you can roll over the other $3k to the next tax year.

7. I was after more CGT or IT implications and allowances available but thanks for input : )