What are the risks of shorting Bear at $5?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by himself, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Wonder if they are investigating the huge put buying early in the week.

Maybe just players hearing rumors, maybe not.

#51     Mar 19, 2008
  2. Pondracer

Pondracer Guest

The Division of Investment Management wrote two letters concerning issues under the Investment Company Act and Investment Advisers Act arising out of the change in control of investment advisers affiliated with Bear Stearns. One letter addresses approvals by the mutual funds advised by the Bear Stearns advisers of new advisory contracts between the funds and the advisers. The other letter provides temporary, conditional relief from restrictions on principal transactions between the Bear Stearns advisers and clients of investment advisers affiliated with JP Morgan and transactions between the JP Morgan advisers and clients of the Bear Stearns advisers.

I get the feeling that every day that goes by JP Morgan is throwing more harpoons into the whale and making sure it is tied securely to the ship. Washing away the line between JP and Bear and absorbing as quickly as possible the most valuable client relationships.

It just makes it more difficult and painful to pull the carcass away.

I'm short @5.08 now. I feel ok with it and can weather some heat, but feel free to tell me I'm stupid -- not that anyone seems to need permission around here

:D :D

#52     Mar 19, 2008
  3. Barry is kind of shy, but I'll venture he thinks you're ok:

as mad as the accumulation appears, its actually quite rational -- IF YOU ARE A MAJOR BOND HOLDER, and are doing this to capture voting stock. (All the other idiots buying BSC are pretty much fucked).

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/

You may have to search 'bsc'. couldn't isolate the post.

[I bought the puts yesterday. I wouldn't want to be around when they pulled the plug. I know the puts are expensive, but I think it's a no brainer I get to pull the plug for 50 to 100%

#53     Mar 19, 2008
  4. Pondracer

Pondracer Guest

I grabbed some more this morning, averaged up to 5.23. Could have handled that better but the timid side won out. Maybe its just me, but the volume pattern looks strange. It really dried up around 11.

I thought about the option route but didn't want to pay the premium. I went that route a while back on NTRI and it saved my ass though.

Say, off topic but does your handle reference the AVG fighter group? Just curious, I have a room dedicated to the AVG with some signed prints, books etc.

#54     Mar 19, 2008
  5. When I signed up, I was watching ClarieChenault on TV and just took it. You know, someone one here a while back told me he met the General, who was getting a haircut when the fellow was in the shop. He was a kid at the time. Amazing man, and like Mitchell,was just hosed by the military.

Switching between Kudlow an d FBN. Hmmmmmmm Barney Frank ? Liz Clayman? Barney Frenk ? Liz Clayman?

#55     Mar 19, 2008
  6. 09:54 BSC Bear Stearns: Hearing tier-1 shop out saying it has increased conviction that $2 takeover by JPM takes place (5.29 -0.03) -Update-

Believes JPM has negotiated a strong deal, and has well thought out protections in place.

Briefing Trader.

#56     Mar 20, 2008
  7. axehawk

axehawk

Them redoing the offer and it shooting to $10.:D

#57     Mar 24, 2008
  8. S2007S

S2007S

$10 +

:D

#58     Mar 24, 2008
  9. I hate big fish stories. I hate the stories of the big fish that got away. I hate it I hate it I hate it. these do me in worse than losing. I quit quit quit. I can't quit aaaaarrgghhhhhhhhhh!

#59     Mar 24, 2008
  10. Wow. That is my trading mantra - word for word.:p

#60     Mar 24, 2008