what are the new approaches to TA?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by G-Boa, Jan 21, 2007.

1. G-Boa

G-Boa

How dated are many of these technical methods used to assess and predict price movement??

Trends,
    Support and Resistance,
    Head and Shoulders,
    Double Tops and Bottoms,
    Line and Saucers Formations,
    V Formations,
    The Measured Move,
    The Coil,
    Continuation patterns,
    Reversal Days, Gaps, and Islands,and
    Moving Averages

[the Elliott Wave "inventor" published his book in 1938, called "The Wave Principle" - that's a loooong time ago!!]

Have there been any advances of late; and how do these advances make it to people who use it?? What's new??

2. hcour

hcour Guest

How could support and resistance be dated? Or trend? Is supply and demand dated?

Wyckoff published early last century. As relevant today as it was then, and will be another hundred, or 1000, yrs from now.

H

3. galiano

galiano

Outdated or not, who cares, as long as they work. Outdated might even be an edge; less trading on expectation (in this case, hope) of self-fullfiling prophecy.

Just changed my lightbulbs to fluorescents instead of "outdated" Edison type filament-type. Still gotta flip the switch for same end result. I think its time to get a "clapper"

4. Maybe when it no longer holds the same signficance as it once did? Learning to move with that continual shift seems to be the key to longevity.

5. yeh but TA wasn't widely accepted in 1938...thought it was the past decade or two ago that it became accepted as the SHIT.

6. Since TA, at its core, is based on mass human behavior, until that changes (and I don't see it happening any time soon), the tried and true classic methods will keep working.

7. G-Boa

G-Boa

That's the point I was wondering about....does the advent of superspeed automated systems, quant jocks, hedge funds strategies, etc. alter or "date" certain TA methods, or bring new methods/concepts into light - when compared to methods based upon mass human behaviour??

8. <<That's the point I was wondering about....does the advent of superspeed automated systems, quant jocks, hedge funds strategies, etc. alter or "date" certain TA methods, or bring new methods/concepts into light - when compared to methods based upon mass human behaviour??>>

Trends,
    Support and Resistance,
    Head and Shoulders,
    Double Tops and Bottoms,
    Line and Saucers Formations,
    V Formations,
    The Measured Move,
    The Coil,
    Continuation patterns,
    Reversal Days, Gaps, and Islands,and
    Moving Averages

Lets suppose all t/a are based on this list. The next level to build on would be correlations. The list is endless of what you can correlate to any of the above. Basically I think when you ask "advent of computers, quant jocks etc" your back too square one of correlating your original list with something new which may correlate but no causation and nothing new here.

9. "Since TA, at its core, is based on mass human behavior, until that changes (and I don't see it happening any time soon),"

What is interesting about that statement when applied to historical Presidential election cycles and the market. Different men, different economies, world events yet human behaviour remains the same only the names have changed.

#10     Jan 22, 2007