What are the most important things for Technical Analysis?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by iamnewuser911, Jun 14, 2016.

1. I counter-trend, too. Would love to diversify with the trend-following strategies, but can't find anything near with the same risk-adjusted returns as the counter-trend strategies.

#11     Jun 15, 2016
    murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Handle123

Handle123

Actually that is easier than you think, but it depends on what you define trend to be. Ever litely study Elliott wave? Three trends and 2 counter-trends? So the counter-trends are the dips, unlike Counter-trends at extremes that are formed and have unique patterns, Dips have unique patterns as well and they are different than those formed at extremes, often times they are crunched up tighter, also studying the instrument hopefully you are always trading the same. Where many traders get lost is they often add up all five waves together thinking that is going to be the length of possible Swing, but it is the opposite, as it becomes like 5 steps forward and 3 steps back, and even though much action may have taken place, in points like ES, it might be a 10 point Swing. One of many problems that younger traders have is they love to counter-trend trades, but don't have a clue if one Triple top will be the same as next Triple top, so even though it sounds so simple that they all should be the same, they are not in how they were formed and length of them, so it always best to well define chart pattern signal, and Triple tops and also so different than Triple bottoms in ranges and volumes and extensions. The deeper you back test into individual patterns, more you become aware of how to fine tune one's trading.

#12     Jun 15, 2016
    nonlinear5 and K-Pia like this.
  3. "3 Rules To Success With TA"....

Rule #1. Trade only what you KNOW

Rule #2. The only thing(s) you can know is/are what you SEE on the chart

Rule #3. See rule #1

#13     Jun 15, 2016
    quickturtle and iamnewuser911 like this.
  4. Thanks, Handle123. I will look into it.
    Are you a participant here: https://caldaro.wordpress.com/ ?

#14     Jun 15, 2016
  5. Handle123

Handle123

That's interesting site, but I only use Elliott lightly, it is one of those indicators best after it has happened and I was never able to come close to trading while it happened.

#15     Jun 15, 2016
  6. Noticing when a side is trapped.

#16     Jun 15, 2016
  7. Elaborate? With examples?

#17     Jun 15, 2016
    murray t turtle likes this.
  8. Simples

Simples

open mind
    flexible mind
    inquisitive mind
    discriminatory mind
    stamina

#18     Jun 15, 2016
  9. Sorry, I keep everything private, too many scars and too many years of research to be sharing gold for free. At least you got a starting point, which is what I intended on my post.

#19     Jun 15, 2016
    profitlocker likes this.
  10. %%
    That is it iamUS;
    study price + volume for years + years. Momentum indicator gets me out of trend way to early so i seldom use it.To each his own

#20     Jun 15, 2016