What are the general Win rate and RR of professional/Full Time traders?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by iamnewuser911, Aug 5, 2017.

1. ^

What is yours as well?

2. 4.8% match the S&P 500's annual average returns.
    95% fail, or are in the red.

.2% are making money, o_O

I'm loosely guesstimating the entire investing/trading retail/professional group as a whole,
    For the so-called Professionals only...those percentages are only slightly skewed -- the picture ain't that much rosier,

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    oddhours and itspossible like this.
  3. Hmm, I wonder what are the basic stats of the 0.2%?

4. drm7

drm7

Trend following CTAs are probably 35%-40% win rate, average win 3x-4x the average loss. Scalpers/Market Makers are probably 70%-80% and 1/1 or even 0.8/1 win/loss. All depends on timeframe and strategy. I have heard Rentech/Virtu/HFT have crazy slim margins, like, 52% win rate and 1/1 win/loss, but they do 1,000s of trades/day.

Side note, when Virtu filed to go public, they outlined their general statistics, and disclosed that the firm as a whole had something like 90 consecutive profitable days (then 1 small losing day, then another 3-4 months of profitable days, etc.)

shatteredx likes this.
  5. What are the general Win rate and RR of professional/Full Time traders?

Why are retail traders always so concerned and interested in the results of hedge funds, institutional investors, market makers, Buffett, hft, quants, other retail traders etc.? They are playing a different game on the same board/chart, under different conditions, with different restrictions and rules. Comparing oneself to anyone else is really irrelevant, and it will not identify your position on the trader's/investor's totem pole. Trading to the best of your ability is all that counts.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    kmdguy, Steve93 and Handle123 like this.
  6. Because I am curious and would like to know.

Is that ok?

Top CEOS salary, richest people in the world, doesn't matter to me, but I am still curious to know.

7. Thank you. This is what I'm looking for, very informative.

8. Overnight

Overnight

Buffets?

(Sorry).

9. I did not quote your post as my comment was not directed at you personally. Sorry if you took it that way. It's just that I've read the same question so many times that it pops up in my dreams!

10. my bad too.

Cheers mate ;)

#10     Aug 5, 2017