What are the economic downside of a physical elimination of OPEC ?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by SNBthetrue, Jan 7, 2010.

1. I feel so stupid to have write this.

Me too ! I am too much shocked by the treason that I watched.It's really hard to keep an emotional stability, when you realized the manipulation going on, everywhere... and the will of some people to exploit it for their own advantage... without realizing that they run towards their own ends... Happily for my defense, I have the capacity to realize my mistakes and corrects them.

That's the biggest shock. Yes they are an open organization...

That's still not good for the market, but at least I can know which are the members, what are their goals ( :D ), what they think... there is no secret. they even give interview...

But when I compare to the "american" cartel organization... like CFR, trilateral commission, Bilderberg group, Imf and co... I realized that OPEC is much more transparent...

that's a shame.

#21     Jan 9, 2010
  2. This is kind of a silly analysis. Did someone just wake up to the fact that a cartel such as OPEC is anti-competitive?

The dominant player missing in your analysis is Russia. They are the 800 lb gorilla with a huge arsenal of 5000 thermonuclear weapons and their economic interests align more with that of OPEC than the west or China because Russia is an oil producer and exporter.

The elite in every country is not likely to die over oil when their adversary has nuclear weapons. They would send their poor to fight and die in a conventional war for oil but when it comes to shared-sacrifice in a nuclear conflagration, the rich and powerful would just pay up.

So that is why oil remains expensive and the real solution is to reduce the economic impact of foreign oil by conservation, efficiency, alternative energy and more production. It worked after the '73 energy crisis and it will work again.

[​IMG]

#22     Jan 9, 2010
  3. lol you think this will bring peace and prosperity? It will be another huge mess full of unknown unknowns, power struggles and the like. I sympathize with the idea but to say its going to be win-win is not realistic. We will just supplant middle eastern thugs with our own, thats not necesarily something you can say will be a good thing.

#23     Jan 9, 2010