What are the best parameters to use for the full stochastic indicator

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by John_IL, Jan 21, 2008.

1. himself

himself

On what minute bars do you use those parameters?
    Thanks

#11     Jan 25, 2008
  2. maflip

maflip

I agree, I myself use 20 indicators and when they all fire up at the same time I would think oh boy here goes im taking the trade. But so far i'm only successful 30% of the time what do you think maybe i need 20 more? :D

#12     Jan 25, 2008
  3. An ET gem for sure !

#13     Jan 25, 2008
  4. KHL

KHL

Looking for StochaticFull adjustments to K and D period in particular. Currently I use 9 and 5 on 5 min chart and it seems to work for GBP, but not the rest

Anybody got any suggestions for the following currencies: CAD, AUD, CHF, EUR, GBP, CZK.

Thank you.

#14     Nov 13, 2009
  5. (0,0)

#15     Nov 13, 2009
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

...and the time frame and current markets conditions...

#16     Nov 13, 2009
  7. this is called "curve fitting."

#17     Nov 13, 2009
  8. KHL

KHL

OK, now I know the name. Any suggestion on values for the FX?

#18     Nov 13, 2009
  9. Yes. Test a number of different value for the instruments you are looking for over a LONG period of time (think multiple years, not just the last few months). Look for values where the neighboring values are also high, for robustness. (I am talking about charting the different values and seeing how they all appear on the same chart).

But depending on values from anonymous posters is not a way to trade successfully. How do you know they have any clue what they are talking about? You need to take charge of your own testing. You can ask for ideas, but you must do validity testing. Few traders know what they are doing, so you are most likely to get ideas from the ones who do not.

Further, past validity in no way guarantees they will work in the future. It would be wise to walk forward test a few promising values for at LEAST a few weeks.

Personally, I think stochastics is a questionable way to trade forex, which are very efficient markets. Throwing a couple of (cherry-pick-valued) technical indicators at it does not seem very useful.

I hope you have a more robust underlying trading edge...

#19     Nov 13, 2009
  10. KHL

KHL

Thanks. Will do.

The plan is to use daily charts and the StochasticFull crossover for change in direction / price.

#20     Nov 16, 2009