What are the best markets to sell options

Discussion in 'Options' started by lasner, Nov 24, 2007.

1. xiaohu

xiaohu

If you believe this is so, why are you looking to sell ?

Why not buy options to supplement your income ?

#21     Nov 24, 2007
  2. lasner

lasner

I'm not looking to buy.....I think that is the biggest mistake.

I guess you guys are right...I'll go with spreads.

#22     Nov 24, 2007
  3. nearer term options degrade faster $ for $. on the other hand, you can collect higher premiums from father out of the money options long dated. These risks and benefits offset each other.

safest way to do it is manage size and do verticals (ie short 1380 put, long 1350 put). Or at least to some ratio (ie short 3 to long 2) to cover some of the IV blowup risk. Sell what you can handle being assigned.

#23     Nov 24, 2007
  4. Prevail

Prevail Guest

yes, from the trade low since entering the trade.

#24     Nov 25, 2007
  5. sugar

sugar

Options is like another financial tool. You must try buy cheap and sell expensive. But remember, options value don't depends, in a exclusive manner, of underlaying evolution. Time and volatility affect the options value too. I'm sure you know it.

But remember, everybody knows it too. This knowledge don't give you any trading advantage.

Time pass and everybody know it.

The deal here is volatility. Sell options only when you are thinking that future volatility will be lesser that present options IV.

If you don't want speak about volatility, and your only deal is the underlaying motion projections forget options and go with your futures on.

If you trade finally with options, spreads are your tool. Options are a powerful tool and we must use it winning and for don't losing too.

Sugar

#25     Nov 25, 2007
  6. AK100

AK100

Sorry, but you deserve to be criticised for a very very naive question.

There are no 'best' markets to sell option in because if they were everyone would have worked it out and sold premiums so low that the market in question now became the 'best' one to buy options in.

My advice is very simple, and it will save you a lot of money and hassle -

DON'T EVER GET INVOLVED WITH OPTIONS

PS. Not having a go at you personally only being cruel to be kind.

#26     Nov 25, 2007
  7. u21c3f6

u21c3f6

"My favorite equation of these amateur "traders" is Selling Naked=Income."

Income = CD's, Bonds

Option selling and/or buying has a negative "income" expectation without an "edge" (Zero Sum minus commissions and spread).

Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

Joe.

#27     Nov 25, 2007