What are the advantages of day-trading stocks over futrues?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by qualcomtrader, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Mach4-1

Mach4-1

hey...listen up boy...just cause u can't daytrade stocks means shit..and from ur stupid post i doubt u can trade the ES for profits...or any market at that:D

what a fukin statement to make...are u on this planet or in another time zone:p

u guys make me sick...think that u know everything about trading...odds are u don't even know when a buy/sell program is kicking in...maybe it is a fib level being hit!!!!...dumb ass traders:D

#31     Sep 22, 2009
  2. some of the posts at ET make me want to pluck out my eyes

#32     Sep 22, 2009
  3. I trade 3 to 4 CL contracts (daytrade ) everyday. Futures are not restricted to those Day Trading rules that Stocks or Options are.

#33     Sep 22, 2009
  4. Mach4-1

Mach4-1

i know exactly how u feel:D

#34     Sep 22, 2009
  5. Mach4-1

Mach4-1

u trade with the biggest cowboys in the markets - nymex:eek:

and what daytrading restrictions might u be talkin about...as i don't encounter any when i am daytrading stocks?

if u are on about daytrading rule..and don't have the $25K..then u really should not be daytrading stocks:D

if u are on about shorting...there is a little thing called a chart which allows u to place limit orders to enter the market...but...u must of course be skilled in the art of reading charts..else u might as well be looking into a barrel of thick black oil...crude i believe:D

#35     Sep 22, 2009

6. For what it's worth, I've traded each quite a bit, and my current addiction is the leveraged ETF's.

But the way I make the distinction you point to in the original post is: do you want to trade a single stock, or a group of them.

In other words, by futures, I'm going to assume you are really talking about index futures, meaning that you're not worrying about other futures (crude, natty gas, metals, currencies - why try to compare currency trading to equity trading!! pick a market).

Then, if true, I have found a better edge with groups of stocks over single stocks. But this is probably because I don't spend much time on fundamentals, news feeds, rumors, or watching open book or level II. I prefer to focus on the flow of trades and the chart pattern, and I understand macro news developments better than company releases.

The point is, trading baskets of stocks, or whole markets, negates the effects of the domination by one single trader or institution. Their movements are averaged out, which gives an advantage to you if you think your main asset is reading the chart.

I would say my current favorite vehicle is FAS.

#36     Sep 22, 2009
  7. Does anyone here know of a good free site for futures? For me, the best way of seeing what I'd want to trade is with charts. But, I still don't like the overnight trading gaps in the equities markets.

#37     Sep 22, 2009
  8. free site - you mean charts? intraday charts? 1-5 minute charts?

freecharts is one (owned by barchart.com). But I believe it is delayed, like most freebie chart services seem.

Does your broker have charts with your account?

#38     Sep 23, 2009
  9. Well, I have an account with GFT Forex. I'm not sure what time I'd look for for futures since I haven't seen what the moves are like.

You know, for those who are wondering about the fact that I said I still was not profitable, I'm still adapting myself to new methods that I developed. Every day I think I'm getting closer and closer to "getting the hang of it". Actually, the new methods which I'm not ready to reveal yet make money with price moves in real time but it took me some time the last few weeks to work on some of the finer details.

#39     Sep 23, 2009