What are the advantages of day-trading stocks over futrues?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by qualcomtrader, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Trading futures is volatile like below

<object width="450" height="370"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/e/8d9_1253447219"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/8d9_1253447219" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="370"></embed></object>

#21     Sep 20, 2009
  2. You seriously think this?

#22     Sep 20, 2009
  3. Jym

Jym

Hey it makes sense to me.

You rarely ever hear them mentioned or advertised other than that sketchy Superfund commercial, most of your popular investment info sites like www.investopedia.com have very little info on them compared to options or forex, and they seem to have by far the best tax treatment of any instrument out there.

#23     Sep 20, 2009
  4. Futures are given this kind of tax treatment, due to the way they are structured. It has nothing to do with squelching participation by others.

And sites like investopedia are not controlled or owned by the government or others. They have no reason to not cover certain topics, due to the "desire" of anyone to limit futures trading.

#24     Sep 21, 2009
  5. Mach4-1

Mach4-1

Hi nick,

maybe some here?

1. More choice
    2. Diversification
    3. Earnings
    4. Take Overs
    5. Margin requirements
    6. Less volatile
    7. Dividends

#25     Sep 21, 2009
  6. Everyone, I just wanted to hear from people who "DAY"-trade stocks what they like about it.(I haven't traded a single share of any stock)

I definitely agree with TraderZones but as I said I was just curious to find out what characteristics of stock market make it attractive instrument for DAY-trading.

I am speaking of DAY-TRADING as strictly in after sunrise and out before sunset.
    But seems most people only trade stocks for short-term.

Thanks everyone btw for giving your opinions

#26     Sep 21, 2009
  7. depending on where you are at regarding bankroll and if you are keen on scaling in and out, stocks/etfs can give you more options as one ES is the equivalent of 500 SPY. it's an easy transition if you are already trading ES as their price action is basically the same.
    also, on that, if you are adding liquidity and with a firm/broker that passes on the rebates, your commissions could work out to be less.
    liquidity with the SPY is not hanging with ES but you can get 10,000 share fills with little to no slippage or if you are better with the NQ contracts, the quad Q has more liquidity with 20,000 share lots easily filled.

#27     Sep 22, 2009
  8. I don't want to sound paranoid, but are you saying 20,000 shares of an equity of a 20,000 contracts of a futures contract?

#28     Sep 22, 2009
  9. sorry dude, i spend most of my days communicating in bytes and english language becomes a challenge:)
    i'm just saying that comparing mini futures contracts with ETFs of the same corresponding index, until you get larger than 10,000 share lots or in the case of QQQQ, 20k lots (or even more), using them instead of futures could work.
    paranoia will destroy ya

#29     Sep 22, 2009
  10. honestly...after daytrading futures...HOW could you ever even consider daytrading stocks?...seriously?...if a cat has $50k to daytrade...trade futures with it!

#30     Sep 22, 2009