What are some of the best user interfaces for trading?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by TradeEMX, May 1, 2019.

1. TradeEMX

TradeEMX

I'm building a trading platform myself and trying to make it have the best possible user experience. I'd love to hear about other trading platforms that have strong user interfaces that make it easy to place trades, while not sacrificing any powerful features.

Much appreciated, thanks.

birdman and michaelchen_007 like this.
  2. This sounds kind of dumb, perhaps, but a code-first trading GUI would be pretty sick.

d08 likes this.
  3. TradeEMX

TradeEMX

Do you mean where you can code directly into the interface?

4. d08

d08

Manual trading is on the out, should orientate towards fast code deployment.

nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  5. TradeEMX

TradeEMX

Good feedback. Thanks.

6. qlai

qlai

I would love something like this ... Can't be too far away.

7. 2rosy

2rosy

still need a way to manually trade though in case of emergency or something else. personally, I like a datagrid of quotes, datagrid of bots with on/off buttons and way to configure on the fly, datagrid of positions. tail a log of orders and executions. metrics go to grafana

djames and nooby_mcnoob like this.
  8. MrMuppet

MrMuppet

@TradeEMX:

As far as I understand, you are working towards an interface for EMX, right?

In this case think a little bit different:

First of all, there will be market makers and professional algo traders. They will use your API or FIX interfaces to connect their own stuff. They won't be using any of yours since much of their edge is depending on infrastructure.

Second, there are "customers (retailers)"

Hobbyist algo traders, manual daytraders, swing traders, chartists etc.

Those guys need an interface that is easy to work with, since they're not willing to learn coding.

The biggest problem I see in crypto space is the fact that there's nothing in between the API and the basic web interface. There are literally hundreds of GUI's out there that just could be connected...yet they aren't.
    So the exchanges are missing out when it comes to semi professional gamblers...the guys who trade at AMP, IB, ToS etc. They don't make money but they want OCO orders, charts lit up like Vegas at night and a scripting language. Those are the guys who bring flow to the market makers...hype gamblers are dead and HODLers don't trade.

My personal opinion on this: Forget about developing your own interface. Do a basic order entry for emergengy cases and a simple mobile app. You can never ever build something that has all the features to satisfy a semi-professional. Would you want to deal with requests to introduce P&F charts or 3min periods? Would you want to care about a tickerplant for historical data??

Focus on developing a really good API, talk to frontend developers about their needs. When I started easing into crypto I desperately was looking for a frontend but could not find one.
    Most developers told me that the exchange API's were utter shit and they would not integrate even if their life depended on it. So I built my own stuff.

Be smart, build a proper API. One that allows for easy integration.

Then team up with some frontend developers, do a fee split or pay them to integrate your exchange. I mean, just look at ET software reviews....or look at AMP how many different frontends they offer. Try to integrate two or three and you will be golden.

9. qlai

qlai

@TradeEMX, regarding below from your white paper ... How does your liquidity provision team know that imbalance exists? Do you publish it on the feed with all relevant info publically available? Where is this team physically located relative to the matching engine?

"8.a. Construction of a dedicated liquidity provision team
    We aim to build a committed liquidity provision team for futures contracts on our platform. Its
    aim will be to maximize crossed volumes (i.e. minimize auction imbalances) instead of profits
    and can be thought of as a liquidity provider of last resort: if there is an imbalance of buyers and
    sellers, the internal liquidity provision team will step in and fill the traders who did not get filled.
    This team will operate and trade with the same market data, capabilities, and limitations of any
    other trader. In other words, it will operate entirely separate from the Exchange and will not be
    privy to any information that isn’t publicly disclosed."

10. TradeEMX

TradeEMX

First off, thanks for the incredibly helpful feedback. Yes, definitely aware there are two types of traders (the API / FIX / REST traders vs. retail/click trading types). We are seeing that there aren't sufficient interfaces for either type of trader in crypto, to be honest.

We've actually already built a graphic user interface (and we have a testnet, testnet.emx.com if you want to give me any feedback) but I'm looking to compare what we've got to anything that might be better-- in terms of order types, charting, and other functionality. A mobile app is also on the way.

But I think what you're saying about focusing on a really strong API is right- these are the guys who will bring liquidity to our exchange in the end.

Cheers man.

#10     May 1, 2019