What are some good career choices for those over 40?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by midlifeguy, Dec 30, 2006.

1. rosy2

rosy2

what experience do you have? Be specific and maybe someone can help you

#11     Dec 31, 2006
  2. You're concerned about Social Security? SS will give you an annual ROI of about, what, 1 - 2%. SS is a scam. Do your own investing and make far more.

#12     Dec 31, 2006
  3. 7 years Retail Stockbrokerage, 8 years buyside equities.
    You have to realize that in order for me to make millions for the buyside firm, I was trading millions in client money. I don;t have millions to trade. I like trading, just hate asshole bosses who think everyone on the trading desk should be late 20s to early 30s so they can work them like a mule.
    I honestly don;t know where to go with my career. Like I said, I can pay the bills trading on my own but it is a pretty isolated existence.

#13     Jan 1, 2007
  4. slacker

slacker

#14     Jan 1, 2007
  5. I've got many years experience in finance. I 'chucked it in' (retired) 43 years old now and just work part time managing my own fund. What I'm doing now is designing houses out of shipping containers! For fun!

#15     Jan 1, 2007
  6. rosy2

rosy2

I still do not know what you can offer that I cannot automate. How did you make you millions. Did you buy from one account and sell to another? If you have an audited track record you should have no problem getting into a fund or backed by someone.

#16     Jan 1, 2007

7. The Health Insurance isn't really a problem, as long as you are in good health. You can get a high deductable policy for less than a hundred bucks a month. Call your agent, you will be stunned how cheap a no-frills policy can be.

I agree with you about asshole bosses. That is why I started trading prop., I like people I just can't stand working with them.

#17     Jan 1, 2007
  8. Not to be rude rosy2, but what the hell are you talking about ?

#18     Jan 1, 2007
  9. rosy2

rosy2

i am curious as to what the original poster brings to the table. what can the guy do? He said he's made millions...how?

#19     Jan 1, 2007
  10. These are the best words I ever heard. . .

My opinion is that the most money can be made through a business enterprise.

The only way a regular job seems worth it is if you make well into the 6 or more digits range. Very few jobs offer that.

The only way to build wealth with a regular job is to stick with it and save/invest as much as you can over a 20 year period and very aggressively. No one wants to wait 20 years for things to pan out, however...

#20     Jan 1, 2007