What are some Basic Strategies that have Worked for You?

Discussion in 'Options' started by zghorner, Feb 12, 2020.

1. taowave

taowave

Like what you wrote,but the OP basically blew up trading basic shit and overleveraged..

Hes a white belt...he needs to get the basics down

#61     Feb 17, 2020
    kinggyppo likes this.
  2. ironchef

ironchef

Please kindly run that by me one more time, in language a layperson can understand.

As an amateur retail, I have a hard time understanding what you wrote and what you were trying to tell us.

Perhaps @taowave can help translate it for us?

Best to you.

#62     Feb 17, 2020
    zion likes this.
  3. traider

traider

#63     Feb 18, 2020
  4. taowave

taowave

That was in a higher vol enviorment.I haven't checked,but I can't imagine the strategy has faired that well vs buy and hold.

Hard to outperform a runaway bull market by selling puts non leveraged.

#64     Feb 18, 2020
  5. The strategy that works the best for me is highly researching a company, establishing an opinion about where the stock is going to go, then sell premium against the position with about 45 days to go till expiration. This is a sweet spot when options decay quickly.

Here we want to rack up many small wins that at a big over time.

#65     Feb 18, 2020
    zghorner likes this.
  6. themickey

themickey

How much time do you spend researching a particular company?
    Where do you go for such information?

#66     Feb 18, 2020
  7. zghorner

zghorner

Do you simply sell naked options or do you define your risk with some type of hedging position? I feel that selling like you described will give the most consistent wins but like you mentioned they are small...and From what I have read what ends up happening is a long series of wins gets wiped out with a single big loss. since people typically short OTM options when it swings against you holy shit how the losses stack up quick. Classic “pennies in front of steam roller” type of deal.

#67     Feb 18, 2020
  8. My team and I spend about 4 to 8 hours a day researching companies, but that's what I do for living. We then post our research reports on Option Strategies Insider.

#68     Feb 18, 2020
    Adam777 and themickey like this.
  9. I never sell naked options as a recommendation, all my recommended trades have defined limited risk. I do a lot of vertical spreads, butterflies, and iron condors. However, in my personal account, I do sell short-term straddles and strangles, but I definitely would not recommend anyone do that without having a firm grasp on what you're doing.

#69     Feb 18, 2020
    zghorner likes this.
  10. traider

traider

Are you trading or investing? Why only 50 trades a year for someone doing it full time? It will take forever to know if your edge is statistically significant.

#70     Feb 18, 2020