What are pros and cons with Interactive Brokers?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by dabao91, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Vista

Vista

#11     Nov 25, 2007
  2. WinSum

WinSum

TradeStation has its own type of security safeguard.

Your trading computer is registered on their security system. So only your registered computer can trade your account. A Hacker cannot logon with your ID and try to trade your accout since his computer is not registered.

#12     Nov 25, 2007
  3. dabao91

dabao91

Your trading computer is registered on their security system. So only your registered computer can trade your account. A Hacker cannot logon with your ID and try to trade your accout since his computer is not registered.

How does TS identify a computer? through IP? or otherwise? Thanks.

#13     Nov 25, 2007
  4. WinSum

WinSum

It's not by IP address. I'm pretty sure about this because it has to support users who have dynamic IP address that changes everytime they logon to the internet.

The details of their security system are not disclosed on how it works. But they have a way of identifying your computer. So the person who is logon to your account must be sitting at your computer.

#14     Nov 25, 2007
  5. dabao91

dabao91

It's not by IP address. I'm pretty sure about this because there are users who have dynamic IP address that changes everytime they logon to the internet.

The details of their security system are not disclosed on how it works. But they have a way of identifying your computer. So the person who is logon to your account must be sitting at your computer.

Cool! Nice to know it is not based IP.

But, TS have to disclose how that work in at least very high level, otherwise, how does you (account holder) will know that will work in your case? For example, they have to disclose that is not IP based, so I know I can use d-IP...... If any one can provide a URL which describe how TS identifies a computer in some reasonable details, much appreciate for that ....
    Thanks.

#15     Nov 25, 2007
  6. Vista

Vista

My concern has never been someone trading my account. It's someone calling my broker and having them wire my funds into their account. Unless its an inside job, this would be very difficult to do without the security token.

#16     Nov 25, 2007
  7. dabao91

dabao91

Vista, very good point.....
    IMO, STP is an excellence program offered by IB.

#17     Nov 25, 2007
  8. WinSum

WinSum

It's very easy to test. I have seen postings on TradeStation forum by users who experienced this security check.

They have a desktop computer that is registered with TradeStation. They went out and bought a laptop computer later on. They cannot login to their account with their laptop. The desktop still works because it is registered but their laptop is not registered, so they cannot trade from it.

They will have to registered their laptop with TradeStation and then they can trade from both their desktop and laptop.

#18     Nov 25, 2007
  9. dabao91

dabao91

They will have to registered their laptop with TradeStation and then they can trade from both their desktop and laptop......

WHAT information of your new computer you need to provide to TS to do registration?

#19     Nov 25, 2007
  10. WinSum

WinSum

I don't know what info is need. My computer has already been registered and they did it on their end automatically, so I didn't need to do anything which was a good thing because it was painless procedure to enable security on my computer. I didn't need to understand how it works in order to enable it.

I don't have any new computers that need to be registered so I didn't have to go through the process of registrating a new computer.

#20     Nov 25, 2007