What are good commission rates?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by DelrayGambler, Aug 26, 2005.

1. yes o guess not hard when you're trading lu and nt all day. try trading even 400k a day of ibm unh and amgn. try throwing 2k's around and see how fast you get killed

#11     Aug 27, 2005
  2. newguy1

newguy1

Is it hard to get your 2k's filled? (For example, getting 2k filled on lu or nt is fairly easy if you're first in line...of course you almost never get filled until 1 hour later...because you're ususally not first in line...)

Stocks like Q and CPN don't really take orders above 1k without having to wait on partial fills for a couple min. How about IBM? I saw a guy trading GOOG and YHOO with 500-1000 shares. He got his orders filled in a flash...in fact he didn't even try and route them a particular way. Just paid the ask or bid everytime.

Had he tried to advertise instead, would his order taken significantly longer to fill? I'm just asking, because I won't know how getting filled on these stocks work until I get through this demo. I'm only curious because demo trading something like LU or NT doesn't really reflect the most difficult part about it...getting filled. My imagination is that demo trading when you are primarily momentum trading is a more accurate reflection of momentum trading with actual money...because it seems like getting filled is just not that hard...you can actually use a mouse and get away with it.

#12     Aug 28, 2005
  3. newguy1:
    Yes, demos are usually not very good at simulating fills properly. I suggest you check out the orderbooks of INET and ARCA online - they are free, and shows you size as well as how it moves around. If you compare it to their time and sales (INET used to have this on their site, at least) then you can get an idea of how hard it would be to get a fill. These ECNs are also as fair as you can get execution in the US - best price is first in line, then time of order decides your place in the queue.

INET:
    http://www.inetats.com/prodserv/bookviewer/index.asp

ARCA:
    http://www.archipelago.com/marketdata/book_info.asp

#13     Aug 28, 2005
  4. newguy1

newguy1

Thanks for the link.

#14     Aug 28, 2005