What About Linux?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by GrowleyMonster, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Hah. I won't have to touch my retirement except possibly one small account that really isn't doing anything much, that I am stuck with until I take my regular union pension.

GF is very enthusiastic about it. She has done a bit of swing trading, actually, not lost any money but so far not making much, either. Work keeps her too busy to devote any time to actually learning how to do it properly, so far. But she is totally cool with my mornings being all about trading, especially while she is still working.

Every trader must have started as a newbie. At least that's how I think it works.

If it doesn't do much to supplement my income it still gives me something to do in the mornings while it is still to early to wake up the neighbors making razors or the occasional knife which is what else I will be doing, besides electric propulsion projects and just messing about on my boats.

I don't use Uber. Never have. Never will.

Anyhow I will probably keep working a couple more years so I can also apply for social security at the same time. But meantime being off work for a couple months at a time will give me time in fits and starts to get my foot in the door. Pretty sure I can do this, actually. And I got a couple of years to make it happen.

#41     Feb 28, 2019
  2. sle

sle

Why not? I'd say that as hobbies go, active investing is probably one of the better ones.

#42     Mar 1, 2019
  3. apdxyk

apdxyk

Just wanted to warn and caution the gentleman. We are all on our own and responsible to ourselves around here. Still, it is fun to see mature adults going into adolescent emotions.
    Disconnect with reality ends abruptly sometimes.

Good luck to all regardless.

#43     Mar 1, 2019
    stochastix likes this.
  4. Lightspeed can hire me to produce a Linux version. You listening @RobertMorse? :)

#44     Oct 13, 2020
    GrowleyMonster likes this.
  5. dude, thats like putting lipstick on a pig. the kernel is what is trash, not these userspace utilities

#45     Oct 13, 2020
    GrowleyMonster likes this.
  6. ph1l

ph1l

Users and developer of trading systems likely don't need to make too many kernel calls, but they might need to write scripts. As a Unix/Linux programmer for a long time, cygwin was a career saver for me when employers forced me to use Windows PCs.

#46     Oct 14, 2020
  7. i don't sacrifice my principles, that's some weak shit, you do what you gotta do I guess, glad I dont

#47     Oct 15, 2020
  8. Mrs Monster has to use a laptop supplied to her by the company, for company work. She has spoken to IT about using Linux but they just sort of stare with a blank look on their face. In the current job market, finding a local company willing to pay her well into 6 figures that isn't stuck on WinDOHs isn't very realistic, so she is sticking with Shell and their chosen operating system until they offer her a package so she can retire early. Sometimes principles take a back seat. She is on record as pointing out the security benefits of Linux but hopes she never has to say, "See? Told ya so," and chances are good that in the short time remaining that she wants to work, a major crippling breach won't happen. If it does, not her problem. So she tolerates WinDOHs, for work. As much as I hate and mistrust MS, I would make the same decision in her position. Doesn't mean I would like it, though.

#48     Oct 15, 2020
  9. I guess this story applies to many of the Linux fans/supporters: being forced at work to use a Windows computer. It happened to me for many years (about 15 or so). All it does is making you feel stronger: knowing that what you are using at home is better than at work.

#49     Oct 15, 2020
    stochastix and GrowleyMonster like this.
  10. vanv0029

vanv0029

The modern way for Linux to deal with Windows is to install
    Virtualbox and install a windows virtual machine. It runs as
    a "window" and allows cut/paste with Linux tools. IB TWS
    downloads a version of Oracle Java so TWS runs without
    problem. There are Linux (gcclib) interface to IB API libraries.

#50     Oct 15, 2020
    ybfjax likes this.