What a great couple of weeks!

Discussion in 'Trading' started by gimp570, Aug 19, 2003.

1. gimp570

gimp570

The market seemed to be getting better the last few months, but the last couple of weeks have been terrible. I just wanted here a few peoples opinions about how they have been doing and what they think a last week /this week. I sure hope your doing better than me.

M

2. It's been a bunch of nothing for me.

3. Ditch

Ditch

adapt your stragegy: never take a loss, but wait till your target gets hit... has been working great the last few weeks.

4. gimp570

gimp570

What do ya think? Take off the rest of the week (or maybe month) How long do you think this will last? Seems that the risk just isn't worth the return in this market. I am just loosing money

M

5. I believe things will pick up some time after Labor Day. Probably mid-September. Hopefully the market will be more conducive to making money.

In this market, if you're going to lose, you gotta lose small. You don't want to bleed when there's no battle.

Preservation of capital is key.

If you want to take some time off, take it. Come back on September 2nd so you can get yourself prepared to make some money.

6. This is just like last year... the posts are the same. I am losing like this month last year. I am a trend trader and the only thing I have seen trend is my account downward. :) Ditch made a good point, one that Magna suggested to me also, adapt to the environment, ie., daytrade the smaller moves.

Sometimes I am such a bonehead!

:)

7. have been working GREAT in this environment.

:)

8. Yup, the last 2 or 3 weeks have been dead. Treading water. Beating a dead horse. On a treadmill. No participation. I play intraday stock breakouts and they are just going nowhere.

Hats off to anyone who can make intraday money in this market.

A look at the daily average true range on the s&p shows we are at a multi-year low. The other indexes are similar.

It is no wonder trend and breakout playing is not working. Like others have said we just need to be patient now and not force anything.

It's got to get better...............doesn't it?

"Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps."
    - Emo Phillips

9. fan27

fan27

First week of this month was bad. I have since become much more selective and have almost made back the losses. However, I am only averaging about 1.5 trades per day.

10. opw

opw

May and June were great for me, than july came, and that was a terrible.:mad:

The last 2 weeks I have been profitable again.

Usually I daytrade as a swingtrader: only buying stocks with good daily patterns and after they break hi or lo of previous day.

However I trail on swings on the 2 min chart, take partials at 1R and try to trail the rest trough the day.

Also I try to keep losses very small. I start trailing very quick.

Except for yesterday the trailing does not add much the at the moment.

Hope I do not get another month like july for a while:)

#10     Aug 19, 2003