wharf lunaranomalies

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by harrytrader, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Harry,

Ever heard of Admiral Mahan circa late 1800's?

#11     Apr 25, 2003
  2. "causal connection ": no no and no ! A statistical CORRELATION has NEVER BEEN EQUIVALENT to A CAUSAL RELATION ! Every statistician knows it but the public is prompt to confound the two. So there must be two steps in proving a causal connection:
    1°) a statistical correlation (which must be statistically significant of course and not only casual facts)
    2°) a CAUSAL connection

The correlation between the nile or stock market and moon or planets could be made rather easily since it copes with numbers whereas correlation between astrology and personalities would be more difficult to prove. But as I just said above the first step doesn't prove the SECOND STEP. And that's the problem today the mystics hide the second step or are not even aware of something missing rigourously.

#12     Apr 25, 2003
  3. Sorry Harry, I have not been clear. What I thought you wre getting at was that the birthplace of some of these mystical connections between the markets and astrology were associated with the supposed astrological connections to the depth of the nile. As a result I wondered if maybe there was a connection with astrology and the depth of the nile, seeing as how the moon effects the tides, and that these causal connections were then extrapolated to other aspects of life, eg the markets, improperly; but due to faith and superstition these new correlational connections were still thought to be causal.

#13     Apr 25, 2003