"We've grown up around firearms. We know the safety and we practice it."

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Ricter

Ricter

I still like the one where the guy's cat jumps up on his kitchen counter, knocks his loaded handgun off, and the gun discharges, shooting the guy. (Pity it didn't hit the cat.)

#21     Apr 25, 2011
  2. Home invasions often start off as seemingly innocuous. Do you always answer the doorbell with a firearm in hand?

#22     Apr 25, 2011
  3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

no, i use the video intercom.

#23     Apr 25, 2011
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

Exactly, not only in his living room but with his daughters head opposite the barrel. That's not "practicing safety" it's practicing stupidity.

It almost funny how the dickless bleeding heart liberals see these incidents as a case for gun control. If anything it's a case for stupidity control. Now of course we're talking about eugenics, limiting drivers licenses to those who actually know how to drive and limiting voting privileges to those intelligent enough to cast a vote etc. etc... Good luck with that.

#24     Apr 25, 2011
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

What a load of crap.

#25     Apr 25, 2011
  6. I suspect that most crooks don't announce themselves: "I will be your home invader this evening."

Google the various home invasion ruses. Are you always in full lockdown mode, 24/7?

#26     Apr 26, 2011
  7. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

we don't get unexpected visitors, Gabby. Anyone who comes to the house is suspect. is it possible that at 12 noon in the afternoon of bright sunlight someone could come into the neighborhood and not be seen by the neighbors, ring the doorbell and fool us into opening the door unaware? of course. but the odds are exceptionally low. and there's no way to prepare yourself 100% for every possibility. all you can do is minimize the odds. no one but a professional assassin is going to come in broad daylight - in view of everyone in a neighborhood where there are a good deal of home owners in their lawns, yards, etc. and try to commit some act of violence in an unknown house with a dog that barks (german shepherd) and take on an unknown homeowner who has a "National Rifle Association" support sticker in the upper right hand of the front door window.

and we dont see many professional assassins.

what is far, far more likely is that any crook brave enough (or stupid enough) to attempt some sort of home invasion/robbery ends up scoping the home during the day and then trying to break in during darkness or late night hours. if that is the case, they are in for a rude awakening as:

1. i have enough weapons to hold a well-armed gang at bay.
    2. i have a dog.
    3. i know the layout of my home, and they do not.
    4. i have a silent alarm (with the exception of the two beeps in my bedroom).
    5. i have nosey neighbors (who alert me when i have foxes and turkeys from the woods behind out house in our yard - i can only imagine if someone was scoping our cul-de-sac)

#27     Apr 26, 2011
  8. Precisely my point. Situational awareness counts for a lot and is the best preventative measure, as I'm sure you'll agree. I was just trying to convey that ownership of firearms can give a false sense of security unless you fairly see it coming. And if you DO see it coming, you can usually avoid it in time. And if you DON'T see it coming, then you pretty much have to have your finger on the trigger at just about all times, so to speak. Personal firearms can play a useful role from time to time and in some instances, I just question the cost/benefit in the aggregate. Policy looks at the bigger picture rather than at anecdotal evidence.

#28     Apr 26, 2011
  9. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

guns are just another added layer of security in the tsing tao household. unlike the redneck in the original article of the OP, i have grown up around firearms and i know how to safely house and care for them. and i have an IQ over 100.

if some assailant does manage to get into my house, i want the chance to shoot him dead.

#29     Apr 26, 2011
  10. Fine. And how would you feel standing in line next to a sub-100 specimen packing heat in a coffee shop?

Remember, he's watched a lot of TV so he knows exactly what to do, and he's just waiting for a much-needed opportunity to demonstrate a bit of American exceptionalism. (Flags sold separately.)

#30     Apr 26, 2011