"We've grown up around firearms. We know the safety and we practice it."

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Apr 25, 2011.

1. False equivalency.

When was the last time an insurance policy physically drilled a bullet into an innocent's head?

I wonder how many gun enthusiasts take their guns out during an actioner on TV. You know, to clean and inspect it. And personal protection, of course.

#11     Apr 25, 2011
  2. Savant

Savant

I seen a few McDonalds customers lately that sure would have benefited from being a gun owner.

#12     Apr 25, 2011
  3. Crispy

Crispy

Many people say lots of shit they dont really mean or practice. Clearly this goober is one of them.

Anybody that attempts to clear a jammed firearm in their living room is a moron. And heaven forbid this young girl dies this guy should do hard time.

#13     Apr 25, 2011
  4. When you stop ALL the prescription drug killings then down the list you can worry about gun related deaths.......get your priorities right! :eek:

#14     Apr 25, 2011
  5. rew

rew

I agree. The problem isn't guns, it's that this guy did *not* really know gun safety.

#15     Apr 25, 2011
  6. achilles28

achilles28

You're splitting hairs. Two separate concepts will never be exactly alike.

Guns ARE an insurance policy on your physical person. That logic is a plain as day.

The reason you're kept as safe as you are now is because, in part, Cops use guns to apprehend and deter criminals. Now think about all the poor victims of home invasions, rape, robberies-gone-bad and murders that would be alive today had they packed guns? Hundreds of thousands. They died because they were pacifists, like you. How smart was that decision to not carry a gun, in light of their grisly demise?

#16     Apr 25, 2011
  7. achilles28

achilles28

Yea, exactly.

Anti 2nd Amendment types always point to examples of deaths resulting from careless gun owners.

They never recognize the tens of thousands of cases where gun owners repelled criminal attack with guns. Nor do they recognize the many victims of deadly assault, rape and murder would still be alive today had they chosen to carry a gun and use it.

#17     Apr 25, 2011
  8. Unless you had your gun out while watching TV, I doubt you'd be in a position to use it during a surprise home invasion. The same applies to most, but certainly not all, instances of attack. Predators look for vulnerability, not challenges. Therefore, with few exceptions, I would imagine that firearm aficionados bent on getting the upper hand in all conceivable scenarios, which need not necessarily appear threatening at the outset, would have to have their trigger finger pretty much at the ready at all times. I'm all for personal safety. But I'm not sure how many fidgety and shifty-eyed action heroes with itchy trigger fingers I would want to be around at any one time.

Therefore, I think you are overstating the number of preventable tragedies of one kind, and overlooking the number of preventable tragedies of another kind.

#18     Apr 25, 2011
  9. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

i have an alarm in my house. Beeps twice when the perimeter is breached (window or door) and then sends silent alarm to station. i hear that beep in my house (speaker is in the bedroom) very clear. if someone enters, my gun safe is 5 feet away and i am upstairs. i can be armed and ready to dance in seconds.

#19     Apr 25, 2011
  10. Hello

Hello

Hmmmmm..... you like to dance with people who are breaking into your house? Not my cup of tea, but to each his own i guess.

#20     Apr 25, 2011