Western Union WU

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Port1385, Apr 21, 2008.

1. hey I just found a pretty cool site and they offer a good amount of free info - enough for the eyes to go blurry - I caught this on WU~ stoney

theflyonthewall.com: Earnings story about WU
    The Western Union Company (WU) is expected to report Q1 earnings Tuesday with a conference call scheduled for 8:30 am ET. The consensus estimate is 28c for EPS and $1.24B for revenue, according to First Call. Oppenheimer remains optimistic in front of Western Union's 1Q08 earnings results. They expect international results to remain strong and to offset likely continued sluggish Mexican and domestic revenue growth. Opco expects an in line quarter and affirmation of the company's 2008 outlook, which the firm says would further demonstrate the resiliency of its business model and perhaps demonstrate the decreasing dependency on domestic and Mexican trends. Oppenheimer had recommended buying the stock before the company reports its earnings on April 22. Investors will be looking to the earnings conference call for more details on the recently announced agreement which will make Western Union Money Transfer services available via the Absa branch network in South Africa.

#11     Apr 21, 2008
  2. yeah flyonthewall is a good place to get some good rumor news as well

#12     Apr 21, 2008
  3. robbie I sold today. The growth doesn't seem as good anymore. I just needed an excuse to shuffle and buy more stuff. ~ stoney

#13     Apr 22, 2008
  4. I was surprised. Honestly, I didnt think there would any growth at all considering the rest of the economy. However, they did beat estimates and the stock was modestly higher on a day when the indexes were 1% lower.

I suspect that the stock will not turn lower, but trade in a range. The earnings call did not seem like enough to break it out of its range.

When growth does return to the overall market, then will WU break out? If and when WU does break out, then we will see 30s-40s but now the question is when?

Lets see what happens but I am holding onto my shares as a longer term investment.

Each year there are going to be more people born in China and India and they all need to send money...

BTW, with the indexes so low and the economy so bad...what possibly would you choose as an investment at this time? The money market seems like a great investment to me in this downtrending market.

#14     Apr 22, 2008
  5. Well bio SIRT got bought today and that's after MLNM so a biotech might be in order. I sure wish I had held onto SIRT. Money markets are rticky some are not as safe as they say and you have the declining dollar. In a situation as we find ourselves know perhaps a total return play is best, take a stock you like and see what kind of preferred shares are out there or perhaps a land REIT at this time would be wise... ~stoney

#15     Apr 23, 2008
  6. Moneygram is alive and well. GO into a Walmart, and you will generally see they are the sole means of Xfer here and to OTHER countries. And they have many other retail points as well. Last I heard, Walmart was pretty big. Don't know where you get your research. They are also much cheaper than WU.

#16     Apr 23, 2008