Were Mean Reversion traders down today?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ang_99, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Just wondering..

I've been testing a Mean Rev. type strategy the past couple weeks and was wondering.

Its been working great till I got walloped today. Equity trades, multiple positions.

thx

2. was down alot, recovered and could have finished green but got greedy and ended up red after the last 20 min drop. i consider today as my lucky day, since the shit could have really hit the fan. on days like today i know that i suck because i don't use a trend-following approach to supplement the mean-reversion.

3. That type of "strategy" generally lets you eat like a bird and defecate like an elephant. You'll make money slowly and lose it quickly. :cool:

4. This is (unitentionally) a great post.

5. promagma

promagma

Yes, Monday was rough .... today is much better.

6. for me the day started great but was supplemented with 2 hours of rape at the end. i am green today, a miracle I suppose :)

7. Well, I don't know what to say exactly as I always use the same approach and it always seems to work pretty well.

I use a dynamic basis for my reversion and I couple it with landmarks taken from Market Profile. I try to trade from the "outside in" as any good reversion trader should, and for me anyway it is a matter of whether I have calculated my levels correctly. If I have, price will hit one of my marks. If that mark coincides with a Market Profile number or a pivot, I am good to go....Today was about like any other day. 4 trades, 3 winners, 1 loser.

Frankly I am more concerned with making sure I don't miss a setup or make a mistake managing the trade once its live.....

Here's an example of one of the trades that worked out. Price hit what I call an "extension" point at 10:03EST. I got long on the next candle at 1248.75. I stretched my scales out for this one because I thought it might run, but....it didn't.

Steve

8. promagma

promagma

Same here .... I spoke too soon!

I got caught short in LEN and some financial stocks into the close. Still not a bad day though. With the financial stocks in bear-market-rally mode, and commodity stocks moving 5-10 pts, the next few days might be tough also.

9. Cliff's Notes on this strategy?

10. I've had very good results the past 2 days and have successfully used a mean-reversion strategy all my life.

But I generally don't use intra-day moves as setups - only make entry decisions based on closing prices. I also supplement the strategy with heavy fundamental knowledge.

#10     Jul 9, 2008