Were any of the great scientists/inventors also religious?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Rearden Metal, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Although this thread started in 2003, I'm going to answer it anyway.

Now the person I'm going to give you was a great scientist and very very religious (he was a priest). I do not see him as a great scientist, in fact I think he was lousy, but because of what he did, you will see him as great. So in your eyes, your question will be answered as yes, there was a great scientist who was also religious, but in my eyes, this guy came up with the worst theory of the 20th century. Are you ready for it (get ready for some serious irony)....

Georges Lemaître - A belgian priest was the inventor of the big bang theory.

#111     Jun 6, 2012
  2. themickey

themickey

I believe this is where mankind largely has grasped the wrong end of the stick.

The Universe is GOD

Every atom in existance is god, that's why god is in us and we are in god (I think the bible mentions this) not that I'm religous.

The whole universe has evolved so that it is a force, a law and God is not a 'person' or 'being' it is not something which is seperate, god is everywhere because god is everything, from the piece of sludge in the bottom of the ocean to matter a gazillion light years away.

Transpose the word god to living matter, every atom is moving and living. Matter (an atom) is not only physical but it is also mental, spiritual, moral etc.

Just my idea on what God is.

#112     Jun 7, 2012

3. Yes.

But what this means is my dog made a pile of God in the back yard.

#113     Jun 7, 2012
  4. jem

jem

why?

#114     Jun 7, 2012
  5. Wow - 2003.....

Einstein believed in God - just not your God.... :D

And the OP makes the same old mistake - what has religion got to do with God anyway....? :D

#115     Jun 7, 2012
  6. ==========
    Sure, Mr Metal.
    Ben Franflin, John Moses Browning[great gunmaker but religion of Morman, not Christianity]. Plenty of scientists meet the ''religious ritual '[Wiki pedia/Google...

But you said'' religious rituals'';
    Christianity is a realtionship with the word of the living God/Jesus Christ.Its true in any field; not all talkers are walkers

Wikipedia has a long list of them ;Scientsits....religious rituals.

Top trader John Bender started to make a career of science;
    but said to much of it, was simply getting grants.

Sounds like Newton, Mendel,Planck, Kelvin,Faraday, Boyle,Pacxhal,Kepler... were Christians .

Sounds like they were Christians.Hebrews 11 is full of great people. Sounds like you may want than a small sample, unless you are like algore ''settled science'' /know it all.

Hope this helps:cool:

#116     Jun 11, 2012
  7. themickey

themickey

the motto every Christian should wear as a badge on their shirt should read "How much can I get away with and still get to Heaven"

Church and other religous organisations who preach "Gods Word" are no more than brain washing institutions imo and does nothing much to raise the level of people's characters.
    They do to a small degree but I think more harm is done than good in the long run.

#117     Jun 11, 2012
  8. I met Jesus. I paid him to paint a house for me. He also ran a roofing crew. He was deported to Mexico a few years ago, he was caught with a small amount of cocaine. I liked Jesus he was a good worker.
    Almost forgot, he had two wives that I knew of, one in Mexico and one in Texas.
    Yes I had a personal relationship with Jesus.

#118     Jun 11, 2012
  9. Ricter

Ricter

I knew a guy named Hey Zeus once, but he spelled it "Jesus". Weird.

#119     Jun 11, 2012