Well, this is different: "Why Men Should Avoid Fish Oil Supplements"

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, May 6, 2019.

1. The article is from 2013. I'm not aware of any follow-up to the referenced study.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/again-why-men-should-avoid-fish-oil-071113#1

Men should be wary of taking omega-3 fatty acid supplements now that new research from the National Cancer Institute links them to an increased risk of prostate cancer.

A new study published yesterday in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute provides further evidence that men with high concentrations of omega-3 fatty acids in their blood are more likely to develop prostate cancer, the most common cancer affecting men.

The study clarifies previous research that was inconsistent about the link between omega-3 fatty acids and prostate cancer.

Omega-3 fatty acids are common in fish like salmon, flaxseed oil, nuts, and certain spices. Numerous studies have found that they can be good for a person’s heart and can help lower cholesterol.

Due to its positive health effects, fish oil supplements high in omega-3 fatty acids have become one of the most common supplement types on the market.

The research team, consisting of experts at leading institutions across America, studied 834 men diagnosed with prostate cancer. Of them, 156 had high-grade cancer.

Researchers found that men with the highest concentrations of fish-derived omega-3 fatty acids in their blood had a 43 percent greater risk of developing the cancer compared to men with the lowest concentrations.

On the flip side, they found that men with higher concentrations of linoleic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid, had lower incidences of prostate cancer. Linoleic acid is found in high concentrations in salicornia, safflower, sunflower, poppy seed, grape seed, and evening primrose oils.

2. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Geeesh...what's next...eggs with omega 3 fatty acid being researched and then told after years of research that said its healthy and good for the heart that new research saids its not.

I'll stick with the old research that had 10x more participants in the study by different world organizations (not just one).

wrbtrader

3. Pekelo

Pekelo

What is in the box? What's in the box?

[can't see the OP because FF is still on Ignore]

Anyhow, I have been taking fish oil for 4+ years, and I only have positive things to say. It lowers Trigs among other things. (with coffee it makes you super regular) That is the only supplement I don't cycle but take it everyday...

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  4. Really? Reading your posts has that effect on me.

5. Well fuck, I eat omega 3 eggs twice a day AND take fish oil supplements lol. Hopefully though I die instantly in some sort of horrific accident than be an invalid with cancer.

6. toby400

toby400

Absolute bollocks ! The japenese and other nations have a diet high in fish and live to a good long old age. Their children only suffer poorer health when they emigrate to the West and adopt a poor western diet of big macs, sugary drinks etc.

7. Always be wary one ONE study says something and no one ever follows up or does more detailed research on the subject.

8. Pekelo

Pekelo

So that is why you keep coming back to me. :)

9. Pekelo

Pekelo

You have to take it with a K2/D3 combo. The K2 helps it to go into the bones instead of your veins.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-k2

#10     Dec 7, 2019