Well that was a sick run...wonder how much longer this bad boys gonna last.

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Bugsy, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Bugsy

Bugsy

I think we'll hit that overnight though I also wouldn't be surprised to see us just trade sideways all night.

#11     Aug 6, 2020
    Laissez Faire likes this.
  2. DevBru

DevBru

Volatile stocks are easy to find, just look at the premarket gain/volume and wash sales are only an issue if you are taking positions in to the next year, nothing to worry about as a day trader.

Futures are easier but also way more boring when there isn't this kind of volatility, you are trading during high volatility markets, wait until the ES goes back to ranging 5 points a day most of the time :D.

#12     Aug 6, 2020
  3. Bugsy

Bugsy

The problem I find with the premarket gain/ volume in screeners is the majority is penny stocks for any good sized volatility in price change, and this renders to ability to short them almost impossible with the volume normally very illiquid.

Also, at least taxes on futures is a mix of long/ short term cap gains. Stocks is 100% short term.

You do raise a valid point on the current ES volatility. Are there any other futures worth trading in those slow times? WTI maybe? BTC contract prices are ridiculous. $10 round trip? Wtf

#13     Aug 6, 2020
  4. Overnight

Overnight

NQ volatility not good enough? Could always try GC or RB. That'll put hair on your ass.

#14     Aug 6, 2020
    BlueWaterSailor and TooEffingOld like this.
  5. Bugsy

Bugsy

Sweet. I'll dip my toe in tonight see how they look thanks.

#15     Aug 6, 2020
  6. Overnight

Overnight

I did not mean to actually do it with real money. RB is always a monster, but GC has been on a rip-roaring tear, and if you get the direction wrong on it you'll be shredded.

#16     Aug 6, 2020
  7. Bugsy

Bugsy

How far over do they go on stop outs as far as slippage?

#17     Aug 6, 2020
  8. Bugsy

Bugsy

I'd imagine Nasdaq stays fairly volatile all around with technology stocks constantly moving. Probably far more than ES no?

#18     Aug 6, 2020
  9. Poljot

Poljot

Hi Bugsy, If you are looking for volatile stocks you might consider screening for tickers with highest beta coefficient and restrict market cap to avoid penny stocks.

#19     Aug 6, 2020
  10. Overnight

Overnight

They TEND to move in unison in direction, but this earnings season has been a bit odd. As for volatility? You'll always have more price-action on NQ as opposed to ES.

Regarding slippage on GC vs. RB, you'd have more slippage on market orders with RB due to it's jerkier moves per tick.

Watch RB, NQ, GC and ES tomorrow during the NFP report at 8:30AM ET and draw your own conclusions.

#20     Aug 6, 2020
    TooEffingOld likes this.