well, one more time with IB stops

Discussion in 'Trading' started by mbradley, May 31, 2001.

1. I know the stops problem with IB has been beaten to death, but I have a somewhat different question: Has anyone had any problems with stops while trading Futures. I'm thinking of opening an account with to trade the eminis, but this is pretty important not to be cleared up perfectly.

Best,

Mike

2. dozu888

dozu888

I believe the emini stops are stored at Globex. They are executed instantly and in 90% of the cases with zero slippage.

btw, the stops on NYSE work OK. These days although the nasdaq stocks still move faster, the risk/reward ratio are usually better on the NYSE. Lots of times, trading on nasdaq is like risking 1 point to make 2... while on NYSE I am risking 0.1-0.2 points to make 1.

3. The storing on globex makes since. If anyone else has experience, I'd love to hear it.

Best,

Mike

4. I am also considering trading futures on IB, anyone know if there are any glitches using stops with IB on the emini?

5. dozu said - "btw, the stops on NYSE work OK. These days although the nasdaq stocks still move faster, the risk/reward ratio are usually better on the NYSE. Lots of times, trading on nasdaq is like risking 1 point to make 2... while on NYSE I am risking 0.1-0.2 points to make 1."

isn't it easier to find more liquidity and volatility on the NAsdaq (w/ the NYSE there is only one person making the market, I'm sure you know).

What are you favorite NYSE stocks to daytrade.

thx

6. def

def Sponsor

micheal,
    I haven't heard of complaints about ES but wait to hear from others. The main issue with Nasdaq is that you have numerous tick sources which are not always reliable. Globex has one exchange and for ES you have a pretty deep and liquid future.

7. dozu888

dozu888

o10maximus, in response to your question:

liquidity and volatility is NOT always the friend of a daytrader, depending on his/her style of trading. I play break outs from 5min or 15min candles guided by moving averages. Nasdaq is so choppy these days, it's hard to define small risk. What would you choose if you have too set ups, one is to risk 1 point to make 2, the other is to risk 0.2 points to make 1? You get the idea.

I been playing reasonably liquid stuff like IRF, SFA, WPI etc.