Welfare question

Discussion in 'Economics' started by riddler, Dec 16, 2012.

1. zdreg

zdreg

people will work to survive.

#41     Dec 19, 2012
  2. Mav88

Mav88

I get sudden solvency of places like california, New York, and Chicago, I get rid of about $5T unfunded liability, lower taxes, and in the federal budget we immediately take out about $518 Billion

Of the $64B a month paid out in SSI, about $10B of that is disability. $120B a year

Farm subsidies + food stamps = 150B

SCHIP $7B

federal employee pensions about $70B + their health care

medicaid $81B

Unemployment about $90B

#42     Dec 19, 2012
  3. maybe so, but you can't really get rid of medicaid without amending the hypocratic oath

one way or the other you are going to pay for it, either through taxes or higher premiums

at 2% growth there is probably no hope

but after we make all your cuts, we will still be in trouble until we find a cheaper way to stay healthy and be defended

#43     Dec 19, 2012
  4. zdreg

zdreg

"maybe so, but you can't really get rid of medicaid without amending the hypocratic oath"

the oath is 26centuries old
    " The oath is written in Ionic Greek (late 5th century BC"
    medicaid is less than 50 years old.

what are you smoking?

#44     Dec 19, 2012
  5. show up at the hospital broke and see if they turn you away

somebody pays for that

#45     Dec 19, 2012
  6. zdreg

zdreg

the hospital pays for it. not medicaid. it has nothing to do with the hippocratic oath.

#46     Dec 19, 2012
  7. where does the hospital get the money?

#47     Dec 19, 2012
  8. Mav88

Mav88

the hippocratic oath is for doctors, not me, it says nothing about me owing you health care

you leeches have no honor, you claim it is your right to take at the expense of others and the rest of us get nothing in return but a bill to pay

society cannot functon that way, social contract cannot be an open ended right to other people's money

old people are selfish, many consume hundreds of thousands just to live an extra year of a crappy bed ridden life with no thought that it might cost the rest of us a lot of sacrifice

#48     Dec 19, 2012
  9. Mav88

Mav88

old people can solve this problem really easy, stop with selfish and desperate end of life crap. I don't expect them to though, they have been remarkably selfish to this point

http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/content/165/6/750.full

if people older than 68 simply said they would not accept IC for longer than a few days, we could take a huge step. What's the point? they won't live much longer anyway and the quality of life is low.

#49     Dec 19, 2012
  10. the doctor can only treat so many poor people out of his own pocket before he finally has to start raising your rates.

you don't get the bill, the poor person gets the bill
    then it goes to collections
    and if there is enough of them he can declare medical bankruptcy

in some cases the poor patient may be unconscious, so he is really not given the choice if he wants to be a leech or wait until he has saved up enough money to get his heart going again

#50     Dec 20, 2012