Welfare question

Discussion in 'Economics' started by riddler, Dec 16, 2012.

1. you are really off the deep end on this one zdreg

you see what's happening? walmart gives it's emloyees a start, and the taxpayer pays the rest in food stamps, so I guess you could say walmart really isn't paying their fair share

very few companies would hire more workers if the minimum wage was lowered. Mcdonalds and c stores run on the exact amount of workers they need, no more, no less regardless of pay

you think if the min wage was raised that c stores would start closing at night? You think Mcdonalds would stop serving breakfast? You think if it was lowered they would hire greeters at the front door?

I think everybody, from me to Warren Buffet should get food stamps. For crying out loud, it is just food, and we all need it. Then you can lower the minimum wage. Or better yet abolish it.

#31     Dec 19, 2012
  2. zdreg

zdreg

oldtime-
    "you are really off the deep end on this one zdreg."

under these circumstances, i must consider taking up the weed.
    send me your best stuff.

zdreg

#32     Dec 19, 2012
  3. it's an insurance policy

they are only good deals if your car gets totaled or your house burns down or your husband dies. You don't go into an insurance policy hoping to make money. And in almost every case, you pay in more than you get back.

I have enough money that if I total your car, my fault, I can buy you a new one. But we as a society figured it would probably be better if we made everyone buy liability, just in case you get hit by a poor person. So far, it hasn't been a very good deal for me. I never had an expensive accident, and don't drive that much anymore, so the insurance company is way ahead of me.

#33     Dec 19, 2012
  4. the elephants in the room are healthcare, military, and anemic growth. And anyone of those alone could bring the whole thing down. But when they all gang up together it is a tough row to hoe.

#34     Dec 19, 2012
  5. piezoe

piezoe

You are correct, oldtime!

#35     Dec 19, 2012
  6. Mav88

Mav88

no it's not insurance, it's welfare.

Insurance schemes:

1) Not open ended in what they will pay
    2) Pay out far more than the premium costs
    3) have a minority of participants collect

Social Security:

1) most all people collect something
    2) Costs me more than I will collect (tell me what kind of idiot would buy that insurance?)

I could buy a disability policy for far less than SSID. I pay about $1.3K a year for a $1M umbrella policy, 3 cars and drivers (payout max of $1M), and homeowners. At $1K a year, it would take 1000 years of payments to equal potential payout, that's proper risk pooling.

I'm paying $330 a year for $500K in life insurance, but going to drop it in about 3 yaers since my heirs could simply take whatever I own, which is greater than $500K. They are fine if I die.

The point is everything you say SSI does for me I can do better on my own, I am simply paying your way as welfare, that is all.

#36     Dec 19, 2012
  7. Mav88

Mav88

unemployement benefits, medicaid, obamacare, SSID, farm subsidies, SCHIP, education, public employee pensions and benefits...

you guys are dishonest about the problems we have before us, you seem to need to be that way.

#37     Dec 19, 2012
  8. you sure about that? what idiot would start an insurance company if they paid out more in claims than they collected in premiums?

#38     Dec 19, 2012
  9. ok, you completely cut out, unemloyment, medicaid, obamacare, SSID, farm subsidies, SCHIP, public employee pensions and benefits and see where that gets you

#39     Dec 19, 2012
  10. Mav88

Mav88

yes I'm sure, all private insurance works that way.

I'm not saying you ALWAYS collect, but IF you collect you get more than what you paid.

SSI is the opposite, you almost always collect and get less than what you paid (for my generation)

One does not 'insure' against old age, you always assume it will happen. In fact you insure against early death typically.

On the contrary when I insure my car, I am assuming that I will not collect.

#40     Dec 19, 2012