Welcome to the Republican Party

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Brandonf, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many
    others her age, she considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat and was
    very much in favor of redistribution of wealth. She was ashamed that her
    father was a rather staunch Republican, a feeling she openly expressed.
    Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on
    the rich and the addition of more government welfare programs.

The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the
    truth and she indicated so to her father.

He responded by asking her how she was doing in school. Taken aback,she
    answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it
    was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course
    load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and
    party like other people she knew. She didn't even have time for a boyfriend,
    and didn't really have many college friends because she spent all her time
    studying. Her father listened and then asked, "How is your friend Audrey
    doing?"

She replied, "Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes,
    she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA She is so popular on campus,
    college for her is a blast. She's always invited to all the parties, and
    lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because she's too hung
    over.

"Her wise father asked his daughter, "Why don't you go to the Dean's office
    and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your 4.0 GPA and give it to your friend who
    only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that
    would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA."

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired
    back, "That wouldn't be fair! I have worked really hard for my grades! I've
    invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to
    nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail off!"

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, "Welcome to the Republican
    Party".

2. Then why are so many Republicans like Audrey?:confused:

3. "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." - John Stewart Mill (economist)

4. Whoever wrote that joke, never went to college. In fact, she never lived in this world.

If you ever worked on a team project in college, you'd know what I mean. Everyone on the team gets the same grade, but only two or three people do the actual work. Is it not fair? Not really. Because that's how the society works. You cannot survive in the society if you always insist on "fairness." This has nothing to do with democrats or republicans.

The best capitalists do not always reward people who work the hardest. They only pay what the market requires them to pay. A secretary who works 12 hours a day gets paid $10/hour, because she can't get more than that in any company, no matter how hard she works. OTOH, an electrician gets $50/hour because that's the going price in the market. Don't tell me that it takes more training to wire a circuit than to type 100 words a minute.

The world is never fair. Learn to live with it.

5. K-Rock

K-Rock

Why are blue states wealthier than red states?:confused:

7. you can sit and type your own paper and if you miss a couple words nobody gets hurt, wire the circuit wrong and it burns your house down, I think theres a big difference

last time I checked the news the flames pouring out of the windows of house were not caused by type writer friction

8. What happens if you type the instructional manual on how to wire circuits wrong?:confused:

9. Real men don't need instruction manuals.. :D

10. Lucrum

Lucrum

"As a result of the electoral college system and also, perhaps, because of the appeal of colorful
    maps, state-level election results are widely presented and studied. After seeing the pattern of
    richer coastal states supporting the Democrats and poorer states in the south and middle of the
    country supporting the Republicans—a pattern that has intensified in recent years (see Figure 1)—
    it is natural to “personify” the states and assume that the Democrats have the support of richer
    voters too. Psychologists have studied the human tendency to think of categories in terms of their
    “typical” members; for example, a robin and a penguin are both birds, but robins are perceived of
    as “typical” members of the bird category and penguins are not (Rosch, 1975, Rosch and Mervis,
    1975). When looking at the electoral map, commentators are misled by the patterns in red and
    blue states into thinking of typical Republican and Democratic voters as having the characteristics
    of these states.11
    If we had to pick a “typical Republican voter,” he or she would be an upper-income resident of
    a poor state, and the “typical Democratic voter” would conversely be a lower-income resident of
    a rich state."

http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/research/unpublished/redblue11.pdf

Some interesting reading.

#10     Feb 15, 2007