Welcome Back!

Discussion in 'Trading' started by stonedinvestor, Jun 9, 2010.

1. If someone would tell me how to signify a STAR rating I would ding myself and get this thing rolling. I can't believe I don't have 3 STARS yet after what I went through with Jack H visiting.

Anyway part of the experience of reading me is that I will tell you now and then when I perceive the hedge fund that I am in contact with are looking at something or have a strong angle on something. I will tell you all now that they have had a big WEN position that has not done anything. Usually if the idea is not working you can be assured they have moved on. Not this time. On friday there was a blurb about Nelson Peltz. He is considering selling the company. This is known information by many including the hedge fund but for him to speak out I think indicates a level of impatience. Since your down side is REALLY VERY VERY MINIMAL and since it is thought by many that any purchase price would be well above the price now-- like 100% above-- those of you who are properly risk adverse might want to take a position in this name.

Adding WEN to the stonedinvesting Elite Trader Portfolio @ $4.50 ~si

#51     Jun 16, 2010
  2. Guys if you see one of our stocks pull out feel free to say so! In all my moping today I forgot about PPO on the watch list-- There was a very easy 50 cent trade there today.

Lets watch the open tomorrow and if we can go up on bad news from Spain lets buy this name PPO.

PPO 21.93 4.63%

+0.97 (4.63%)

*WATCH LLEN- technically it is looking especially good. ~stoney

#52     Jun 16, 2010
  3. NoDoji

NoDoji

Your PPO looks solid. Are you trading it for fairly short term swings or as a longer term investment? I like WEN and am always surprised it hasn't done better.

For my longer term portfolio, I've been working my way into some high dividend payers. NLY has rocked. I bought the dip after their May earnings miss and the flash crash had it trading at a price that paid a 16% dividend. I didn't even care all that much about the stock price, because the dividend is fantastic and the company's been fundamentally sound for ever and a day. I now have the added bonus of it trading back above its April price level, despite getting downgraded yesterday. Hard to beat that kind of strength.

P.S. - gave you 5 stars :cool:

#53     Jun 16, 2010
  4. PPO is pure swing! I don't know why it just really moves. when it gets in the lower $20.00's and $19 it pops like a fine bottle. So mad I missed it today but I really don't see it zooming away more of a back and spurt on the way to at least $28, ideally, this next trade sets up with me buying on a pullback and selling at $26 or so. Getting a handle on what these guys do is difficult. They make membranes for filtration systems and they have sales into the high tech medical market which is nice and also into electric cars. Weird names like this little industrial powerhouses they can really climb the charts. OLN is another one (they have a nice div) and there was one that specialized in ambulances and fire trucks Federal Signal.

I like your dividend idea I have flirted with going there. A lot depends on what kind of market you see and indeed if we are eleven years stuck at the same number than a big dividend looks awfully good. I haven't looked into NLY in a while- that's an awfully big payout. Do you notice does the stk price retreat a similar % amount?

Some stks have really big Div's now and indeed I could envision a day when we have yet another massive wipe out and folks only invest in these kind of names. There is a reason all these companies are holding cash.

My favorite dividend play is unknown to the masses it's a GPS car tracking company from Israel- Iturin ITRN. They structure their co to pay out cash in special dividends and the last one was $1.50! a share I missed that one but a ways back I pulled off the trade in my online account. You park a boat load of cash in the name it drifts up on low volume (as it is now every day-- I've been sniffing) they pay the dividend and guess what? The stk hiccups and retakes the old price. It's a rare thing in dividend land but these guys are consistent- think of them as the Lojack of Israel but they have a huge presence in rapidly growing Brazil which I like (50% of the new car market) and Brazil to cramp down on crime is really mandating for ALL new cars to have these systems.

Always when i start this exercise the MLP's and such the special limited partnerships and the 16% dividends I am turned away by what is sometimes a really confusing tax situation- this is a turn off to high % div investing. With ITRN you just check foreign income and hide it there... no special forms.

Well, it's steak and wine tonight the big 16th year together for me and the wife.
    A little tip for you guys in the audience rather than spend money on jewelry I really hated or perfume for the girl that has 12 bottles, I went the subtle route- went to the green market and got one perfect orchid-- really perfumed and her favorite colors she loved it! ($35). ~stoney

ps Thanks for Dem Stars! :)

#54     Jun 16, 2010
  5. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

You earned them.

#55     Jun 16, 2010
  6. NoDoji

NoDoji

I'll take a look at ITRN.

NLY payout is 80% but they're a REIT, so it should be very high. We haven't been in NLY for a couple years, but before that we were in it for years and years. I'm not sure how price acts around the dividend, but will find out quite soon as a .49/share div is coming up. This is a long term investment, assuming the world doesn't end...

#56     Jun 16, 2010
  7. Well folks sometimes the best ideas can be had while lying in bed. There I was fiddling about trying to hide a particularly gross mini-mountain of mucus on the bed rail when I heard an interesting comment from a talking head-- some oil drilling deals that co-share have a " gross negligence " clause....

APC ANADARKO--Shortie this is a good example of a stock I have ridden all the way down. I own a fair amount in Boston. Here I kick myself before the latest steep slide in the name I was about to call and have the thing sold if possible-- my two cousins would have to agree the bank and the trust officer-- it just seemed like too much effort so instead I watched it fall hating myself. The truth is APC used to be a great company with great assets. How this CEO signed onto a deal in which they get no upside and all the down side is beyond me. Head's will roll... or will they?

There can be NO DOUBT BP WAS GROSSLY negligent here. We all know what they did to save costs and time. This will be proven in court. We have never had a deep water accident so this is more than an accident. How hard APC fight this will be the test of the CEO's merit but this stock has been so punished, so taken to the woodshed, I wonder if a different account not already burndoned with the name couldn't make a quick killing to the upside?

There must be $10 of air above this name now. This morning I am thinking about this-

-(Dow Jones)- BP PLC's (BP) contract to operate the leaking Macondo well contains a clause that could limit the liability of minority partner Anadarko Petroleum Corp. (APC), a person familiar with the agreement said.

The contract, the person said, is similar to others used in offshore drilling in which the operator assumes the cost of mistakes in case of gross negligence, the person said.

Anadarko, which owns 25% of the well, has seen its shares hit hard in recent weeks as investors brace for the possibility that the Houston-based company could be on the hook for a proportional share of the costs resulting from the leak--an amount that could reach tens of billions of dollars. The confirmation that the joint operating agreement with BP contains a gross negligence clause could substantially reduce the company's potential liability and that of fellow minority partner Mitsui & Co. Ltd. (8031.TO)........

#57     Jun 17, 2010
  8. here is the whole article-

Contract With BP Has Clause To Limit Anadarko Liability-Source

By Isabel Ordonez, Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

HOUSTON -(Dow Jones)- BP PLC's (BP) contract to operate the leaking Macondo well contains a clause that could limit the liability of minority partner Anadarko Petroleum Corp. (APC), a person familiar with the agreement said.

The contract, the person said, is similar to others used in offshore drilling in which the operator assumes the cost of mistakes in case of gross negligence, the person said.

Anadarko, which owns 25% of the well, has seen its shares hit hard in recent weeks as investors brace for the possibility that the Houston-based company could be on the hook for a proportional share of the costs resulting from the leak--an amount that could reach tens of billions of dollars. The confirmation that the joint operating agreement with BP contains a gross negligence clause could substantially reduce the company's potential liability and that of fellow minority partner Mitsui & Co. Ltd. (8031.TO).

BP could be liable for 100% of damages if gross negligence is proven, said Jacqueline Weaver, who teaches energy law at the University of Houston Law Center. U.S. lawmakers said this week that BP made decisions that increased the risk of a blow-out at the well to save the company time or expense. BP didn't immediately respond to requests for comment.

The uncertainty about Anadarko's liability underscores the unprecedented nature of the crisis that began in April, when a Transocean Ltd. (RIG) drilling for BP in the U.S. Gulf exploded and sank, unleashing the largest offshore spill the country has ever seen. BP so far has spent more than $1.6 billion dollars in cleaning up the spill, and its ultimate liability could be much higher. On Wednesday, the company agreed to establish a $20 billion escrow account to pay for damages.

Anadarko said Wednesday it had been invoiced by BP for its share of clean-up costs, although it didn't disclose the amount.

Analysts with investment bank UBS estimate that the total cost of the operation could reach between $20 billion and $50 billion, a figure based on what Exxon Mobil Corp. (XOM) paid for the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill. But the analysts said that if Anadarko ends up paying a quarter of that cost, it could survive.

If Anadarko's liability comes in at the low end of the range, or $5 billion, the company could "easily" afford it, UBS analyst William Featherston said. Anadarko currently has $3.7 billion in cash and an unused credit capacity of $ 1.3 billion. Additionally, it has assets that are not producing cash in the onshore U.S. and offshore Africa with an estimated value of $14 billion.

If the price tag is larger than that, Anadarko would have to issue equity and sell a large percentage of its international and U.S. Gulf of Mexico nonproducing discoveries. But even if it had to pay $12.5 billion, the company will be able to bear the financial burden, Featherston said.

Investors have been bracing for a worse outcome than what analysts have imagined. Anadarko's shares have tumbled 40% since April 20, the day the rig exploded. The decline sharpened last week--Anadarko was down 19% on Wednesday alone--in a move that Barclays Capital analysts said was "disproportionate" to the highest amount of money Anadarko could be liable for. The stock was trading Wednesday afternoon at $42.70, down 4.5% from the previous session.

BP has said it won't be limited by the $75 million cap on oil spill economic damages established under the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 and that it won't seek reimbursement from a federal trust fund. But Anadarko has refrained from openly joining BP in that stance: Spokesman John Christiansen said in an emailed statement that the company will do what is "right" and that questions regarding its liability will be answered "at the appropriate time."

-By Isabel Ordonez, Dow Jones Newswires; 713-547-9207; isabel.ordonez@ dowjones.com

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

#58     Jun 17, 2010
  9. APC is only up 58 cents in the pre.

I sent the idea into the hedge fund- immediately got a bad feeling.
    The fact is we have a group analyst dump on BP today, wo a pretty good bottom
    might be forming in these names and I have some information that the relief well is a couple weeks ahead of schedule-- would love some conformation on that. The market will have a huge relief rally when that well is closed.

But... why swim in these dangerous waters when PPO is just sitting there?

I got some distressing news today and over the past few days concerning my tenant and the co op building and the renovation-- it seems the tenant removed something they weren't supposed to. The co op which hass long been in battles with my family made a move to remove us for providing a bad tenant-- just a laughable attempt at extortion and since we have a prior history and paper trail with this board my mom's lawyer finally had enough and instructed the company that is our tenant to prepare return fire papers... In a way I'm happy, these insolent board members who talk a big game don't really realize they can be held accountable directly. This could get ugly quick and what of my check??/ The reason I came back to ET! My security blanket that I thought I finally had back, my rebirth... I'm afraid to ask but I ain't seen this month's yet...

Ah the tingly legs and lower extremities... could this be the connection & I'm just wired up nerve wise and lost control of my functions? Could this all be mental? Or is it nutritional? Well they feel about 10% better today but tomorrow my Mom gets her PET scan read to her and right now I have a maintenance man in my bathroom looking at a bad drip and the funky set up and saying " this is bad this is not a normal shower this is bad this tile nice, too nice... "

I've been ruled by water lately. My ceiling in Ct just collapsed last weekend. Not the whole thing but a coffin sized chunk from an ancient toilet leak now- now a leak in my tub and a bathroom about to be destroyed... water water water and this oil spill... can i turn this to my benefit w/ a trade? ~si

#59     Jun 17, 2010
  10. I don't know what to make of this service smartTrends. they come up all the time now in the news area for stks. Basically they cover every single stk and when one goes up and attracts your interests there they are looking smart... "been in an uptrend since we spotted it", yada yada yada, the only problem is if you look up some lousy stocks they are there too chirping away so they scatter shoot hoping to hit winners-- that doens't mean their computers don't work, they may indeed help draw lines in the sand I'm not sure, anyway here is what they have to say about PPO.

Unfortunately it falls into my line of thinking.~ si

SmarTrend Watching for Pullback in Shares of Polypore International After 3.72% Gain (PPO)

Written on Thu, 06/17/2010 - 2:03am
    By Chip Brian
    Polypore International (NYSE:pPO) traded in a range yesterday that spanned from a low of $20.82 to a high of $22.17. Yesterday, the shares gained 3.72%, which took the trading range above the 3-day high of $21.07 on volume of 352,000 shares.
    Shares of Polypore International are currently trading above their 50-day moving average (MA) of $19.23 and above their 200-day MA of $14.58. Look for these MAs to provide support for a short-term pullback in the shares.
    SmarTrend is bullish on shares of Polypore International and our subscribers were alerted to Buy on June 03, 2010 at $21.39. The stock has risen 1.6% since the alert was issued.
    SmarTrend has the shares in an Uptrend and expects the share price to pullback toward the $21.07 support level. Afterwards, we expect it to move upward with its peers in the SmarTrend Chemicals- Specialty industry.

#60     Jun 17, 2010