Welcome Back!

Discussion in 'Trading' started by stonedinvestor, Jun 9, 2010.

1. I like to come up with a good idea or two or three a week and so we begin this very special week researching, researching, researching. It's one of those free surfing times that has me rubbing my eyes and in page 6 of an algea bio fuel company on the BB-- how I got there I'm still not sure.

Using TA is good for scrounging for bottoming stks and indeed one on my watch liist went up a lot when i wasn't watching thursday & friday so I guess we have to start there US Geo thermal plays into the green minded investing mindset that I like and I ran into the company while researching the much bigger Israeli co ORA which I like as well. HTM (US Geo) got some news regarding a potential US Gov loan and the stk spiked held and went up a bit more, a pretty good looking set up. Will be watching HTM early this week.

HTM Now 96Cents! was 73 cents when I began tracking.... lets put this in the oops file for now.

>>> Having slight buyers remorse for SOMX after re reading through my stuff... it was the insane amount of giving away of stock for free and selling by insiders that had turned me off in the first place... still if the stk is free... $4 looks pretty good; it's the institution money that's locked in at $8 plus and not selling that's got me interested.

One bio that looks great and even has a recent insider buy is Akorn. AKRX- This is a $3 stk at a cross road it wants to go higher I've been charting for a month or so and the stk is in very strong hands. the only neg is it's the boring side of bio generics and such-- there's no glory product that you can revel in... hard to drum up hype but it's a steady looking name and I like it very much.

NBIX is in a strong uptrend and from the charts looks to me like it's going higher. I have long known this company and I'm glad to see this success but it's not at all about the original lead drug candidate for these guys, that has held me away so far.

You can see I like Biiotech. maybe a bit too much.

In our portfolio two stks WPRT & LLEN seem set up to have a specially strong week,
    so enjoy them while I continue to dig for an idea.

I've been away a long time but the STAR thing... I know it's very vane of me, but I'm used to four or five.~ stoney

MON WATCH-

HTM-

AKRX-

NBIX-

#21     Jun 14, 2010
  2. Read this and tell me if you find it as interesting as I do-

BOISE, Idaho (AP) -- An Idaho-based geothermal energy developer said Thursday it's closer to getting a federal loan worth up to $102.2 million to build a 22-megawatt power plant in the eastern Oregon desert.

U.S. Geothermal Inc. of Boise still must fulfill U.S. Department of Energy conditions before tapping the loan for its $120 million Neal Hot Springs project in Malheur County, 90 miles west of Boise. The loan would come from the Department of Treasury and has a lower interest rate than if the company had sought the cash from private lenders.

CEO Daniel Kunz said access to traditional capital from skittish investors and lenders for small, renewable-energy projects like his remains difficult even two years after the 2008 financial markets crisis. He's hoping the DOE's offer to guarantee the loan, provided the company meets certain milestones, will shore up confidence that the plant will be completed.

"The people who really value this kind of energy will realize that this pioneer company has access to capital," Kunz said.

U.S. Geothermal shares, which had lost more than half their value over the last year, rose 15 cents, or 21 percent, to 85 cents following Thursday's announcement.

The Energy Department said Thursday this is the first such loan guarantee it has offered to an innovative geothermal power project under provisions of the Energy Policy Act of 2005. But it has made similar guarantee offers to other projects, like a $2 billion uranium-enrichment facility that France-based Areva Inc. is building near Idaho Falls.

U.S. Geothermal already has a 10-megawatt power plant near Malta in southern Idaho, part of a partnership with banker Goldman Sachs.

The Neal Hot Springs project in Oregon is due to be completed in 2012. Once it's done, the company is counting on a separate, $34 million federal tax rebate -- money that's part of the 2009 federal stimulus act meant to help spur investment in renewable energy -- to help pay down the federal loan as well as pay off some private investors.

U.S. Geothermal already has a 25-year pact to sell electricity from Neal Hot Springs to Idaho Power Co., a contract Kunz forecasts will generate some $20 million in revenue annually.

Elected officials including Idaho Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter, a Republican, and U.S. Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., were optimistic the project will fulfill conditions to get the federal loans.

"The announcement today helps make commercial development of geothermal energy at the Neal Hot Springs a reality. This is good news for Oregon and the environment," Wyden said in a statement Thursday.

In addition to this project, U.S. Geothermal is expanding a 3.6-megawatt power plant in Nevada and in April was awarded a geothermal energy rights concession in Guatemala.

#22     Jun 14, 2010
  3. Can Ironwood get off the can?

IRWD was a busted IPO it was priced under the assumed range and it has gone down pretty much straight since. It was brought to market by something like seven underwtriters we'll touch on some of their (of course) positive views later. What are the 2010 highlights for this bad bio?

Glad you asked-

2010 Highlights

Linaclotide

In March, the final patients were enrolled into each of the two confirmatory Phase 3 clinical trials being carried out by Ironwood and its U.S. partner, Forest Laboratories, Inc., to assess the efficacy and safety of linaclotide in patients with irritable bowel syndrome with constipation (IBS-C). Ironwood and Forest anticipate that the top-line data from the two trials will be reported separately in the fourth quarter of 2010.

>> so this plays out as a Q4 story....

Ironwood and Forest are targeting a New Drug Application submission for both IBS-C and chronic constipation (CC) in the middle of 2011.
    At the end of March, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued draft guidance on the design of clinical trials for IBS-C. The draft guidance calls for co-primary efficacy endpoints assessing abdominal pain (≥ 30 percent average weekly reduction versus baseline) and stool frequency (increase of one or more complete spontaneous bowel movements per week versus baseline). The co-primary endpoints in the above-mentioned Phase 3 IBS-C clinical trials are closely aligned with the draft guidance.
    The European Medicines Agency (EMA) has indicated that Ironwood’s European partner, Almirall, S.A., can utilize the U.S. IBS-C Phase 3 clinical trials as a basis for a Market Authorisation Application. For that reason, no additional E.U. Phase 3 clinical trials are contemplated. The primary endpoint will be different in Europe, but both the EMA and the FDA have agreed to allow separate and independent statistical analysis plans of the primary data sets for the two territories. For the E.U., the co-primary efficacy endpoints will evaluate abdominal pain/abdominal discomfort and IBS degree of relief.

>>> sounds like we can assume a bump is coming from early and easier EU approval.

Corporate

In early February, Ironwood executed the initial public offering (IPO) of its Class A common stock, which raised net proceeds of approximately $203 million with less than 17 percent dilution to its pre-IPO stockholders on a fully-diluted basis. In addition, the IPO provided Ironwood with the opportunity to discuss, with many of the biotechnology industry’s most highly-regarded investors, linaclotide’s potential to improve the lives of millions of Americans who are suffering from IBS-C or CC. Including proceeds from the IPO, Ironwood closed the first quarter with approximately $299 million of cash, cash equivalents, and available-for-sale securities.
    Based on its current operating plan, Ironwood anticipates ending fiscal year 2010 with greater than $220 million of cash, cash equivalents, and available-for-sale securities.

>>> Well they sit at $10.00 IS THIS THE BOTTOM for the stk that cures bad bottoms??? ~stoney

#23     Jun 14, 2010
  4. Opening Indicators-

HTM still going looks up 8% hummmm. This is where investing gets tricky.

IRWD assume tiny volume but crawling past $10.00 area

AKRX always opens slow

LLEN UP 6%

WPRT UP 3%

#24     Jun 14, 2010
  5. SELLING-

VIV @ $29.90 / $26.60 purchase

reason- taking the $3 and looking for new ideas. Stk may or may not be takeover bait. Not loving the action in the original rotate stk CHL nor SPN so we are taking a flying leap at IRONWOOD IRWD. ~ stoney

#25     Jun 14, 2010
  6. Yikes IRWD acts thin! We spiked it a bit...

In at $10.55 a little higher than I would of liked and away we go... I took a less than full posotion for two reasons- (1) the reams of high price targets and positive research all hail from underwriters. (2) if you take less than a full boat any pro will tell you-- that's the one that goes straight up. A bit of reverse mojo thinking for ya!

Well my work is done the new stocks this week are both bio's
    SOMX & IRWD we have sold a phone play and if wse chose to refill in that arena it will be with METRO PCS....

Watching that HTM lets not go hog wild first day. $1.10 is big resist I believe have to Double check would like a retrace and then a flag.

Time for a bath. My feet have been tingling lately. Not happy about that.~stpney

PS: LLEN is SURGING where are the back slaps the thank you's and the 4 STARS??

#26     Jun 14, 2010
  7. Update-

Ironwood Pharmaceuticals, Inc.(NasdaqGM: IRWD)

Real-Time: 11.24 1.06 (10.41%) 11:11AM EDT

Westport Innovations Inc(NasdaqGM: WPRT)

Real-Time: 19.05 1.00 (5.57%) 11:30AM EDT

L&L Energy, Inc.(NasdaqGM: LLEN)

Real-Time: 10.12 0.83 (8.93%)

Somaxon Pharmaceuticals, Inc.(NasdaqCM: SOMX)

Real-Time: 5.12 0.26 (5.35%) 11:35AM EDT

VALE S.A. American Depositary (NYSE: VALE)

Real-Time: 27.77 0.74 (2.74%) 11:36AM EDT

Inc(NasdaqCM: ZIOP)

Real-Time: 4.84 0.19 (3.97%)

LOOK AT THE MARKET IS IT UP 10%? 8% 5%???? In case anyone ever asks you THAT'S STONEDINVESTING! Welcome back! ~stoney

#27     Jun 14, 2010
  8. Bought 1/2 position in HTM played it really bad. paid 98 cents. I just can't tell if this little daily double top at $1.00 when we pop it if that will be enough to trigger a run past $1.10 if so off we go to $1.20-$1.40 and then we are getting into the 40% return range. A little powder is left in case we have to fill the position at 89 cents if it goes back to the news release highs.

Only other stks on watch list now are....

AKRX @ $3.10

PCS @ $8.92.

Ok lets take a break now and touch base tomorrow when I fully expect you 9-5ers who come back from work and check this thread and your portfolios to start pumping me some stars dammit! ~stoney

#28     Jun 14, 2010
  9. stoney,
    i will give you a few stars if you start providing a short (1-2 sentence) synopsis to each of your major posts. :)

#29     Jun 14, 2010
  10. Well shortie, I like to think I am teaching as well as entertaining. If nothing else teaching myself. The trading weeks are long and to get an angle as often as possible takes a good deal of work. If I saw some other cats doing what I am doing here I certainly wouldn't beg for stars. But who else comes on and spits out five winners in a row? Who else gives you that much Alpha? If you don't star me who the heck are you going to star? I'm not entirely in favor of this star thing but if we're going to have it-- lets use it right. Lets celebrate those that come on in real time and give away ideas BEFORE they move. Aren't you sick of the other guys? The one's that don't commit. I used to pen a newsletter in the day called of course stonedinvesting and part of my joy was watching these stiff suites at the banks and brokerages twist in the wind when my picks did their thing and their refusal to listen because of the name. Oh the updates! How I loved to send them in. Don't you all make that same mistake. I hope that summed up the general feeling behind the posts shortie. I do try to clearly give buys and sells and prices but I prefer you come along on the trip of research. ~stoney

#30     Jun 14, 2010