Weird Dax Volume

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Billyfoereal, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Hello fellow traders,

I have a question regarding the extremely high volume which showed in the T&S and also the DOM.

You can se at the price 7122.5 there was a massive volume up to +1000 contracts lifting the offer. How is that possible when DAX has a low liquidity. The price did not even move a bit.

I have noticed the same in Eurostoxx with orders up to 50 000 contracts.

Can someone explain to me what is happening and why these big lot shows without the market is moving.

Warm Regards,

Billy

2. TsunTzu

TsunTzu

Your Time and Sales feed may be reporting block trades. I think that's the most likely reason.

3. TszunTzu,

thank you for your reply. I also suspected block trade, but there were no offers with that same amount of contract. I have seen many of these 200 lot orders but the DOM do not display that amount in the bid or the offer, and when those orders show up, the price of the contract do not change a bit. Any thoughts?

4. TsunTzu

TsunTzu

Block trades do not go through the DOM, they just get reported on the feed from the exchange. Different exchanges have different rules for them and in some instances they can occur at prices other than the prevailing bid / offer.