Weinstein Trading and Fading

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Robert Weinstein, May 5, 2008.

1. Closed out ATVI right before the bell.

ave buy price 31.04

+908 for the trade

#31     May 12, 2008
  2. Hello Capablanca,

I actually trade in both day trades and swing. The setups are very different with nothing to do with each other.

Best of trading to you

#32     May 12, 2008
  3. Hello C,

Thanks for your post and its a good question.

If MIR doesn't act as I expect I am willing to exit even if it doesn't move at all.

The reason for writing the options is that I am fading the movement and I am selling time premium. If the options can be sold at a fair to better than fair premium and I am going to hold the position for long enough I will want to gain some extra by writing the covered options.

I don't have a set stop loss other than around the 2-3% loss amount I start to look for the exit door.

#33     May 12, 2008
  4. What would you do if your 2-3% stop on the short stock position is hit and immediately later the stock price falls again - all before the option expiry date?

You would have covered your stock position but would be left with a naked put..

would you cover (or place stops) on the option position as well? If so, aren't you faced with a possible double loss (ie. buying both stock and options at higher prices than you had initially sold)?

Once again, thanks for your time.

#34     May 12, 2008
  5. Hello C,

Good question, I generally enter into and exit out of covered trades first through the option leg of it due to liquidity issues.

I try to sell on the ask and buy the bid even with options.

If a trade has gone against me over 2% I start looking to get out or at least look at it and see if I want to get out. I don't have a fast and hard rule on stop losses.

Of course in a fast moving market it can get costly to try to get out of both a stock and the options.

#35     May 12, 2008
  6. Still holding the short swings

BP
    CVX
    MIR
    SYNA

I had some day trades

SINA + 1056
    CCU + 454
    EXM +331

I scalped SOHU today while waiting for other trades

SOHU + 321

I also closed out of ATVI but I had an extra buy order in that I closed for a small loss. so instead of the +908 it ended up being + 840

Still long UAUA covered

+ 2993 for the day / week
    + 10467 for the month
    + 49431 for the year

#36     May 12, 2008
  7. Actually I am sure people must be selling options and using the premiums collected to determine their stop loss.

For example, you buy 100 x MIR @ 40 and sell a call strike 45 @ 0.60.

You can then place a stop on the stock at 39.4 and if the move goes against your position, the worst scenario is that you end up break even (100 x MIR @ 40 - 100 x MIR @ 39.4 = 0.60 x 100 premium collected from the call).

Obviously, you would have to analyse the volatility of said stock, as a 0.6 stop might be too tight and could leave you stopped out - the result being you end up with a naked call.

Is this reasoning correct? Is it a viable covered call strategy? What other potential drawbacks does it have that I have not factored in?

We should ask the gurus over at the option forum.. :p

#37     May 12, 2008
  8. Short 4 GTI @ 3.86 swing trade

S:Brenton

#38     May 13, 2008
  9. Short 359 shares MMR @ 32.03

I really dont like when i get lifted with odd lots. oh well

S:C7

#39     May 13, 2008
  10. While I am aware of the break even point of a covered stock I don't use that price to make the choice for me. I try to let the market tell me what I should do. When I try to fix on a point it has been my experience that I lose focus on what the market is doing and start to spend too much time thinking about my orders.

#40     May 13, 2008