Weekly SPX options and MiniSPX

Discussion in 'Options' started by riskarb, Sep 9, 2005.

1. TGM

TGM

I may actual trade these. They sound interesting. SPX options do not have span margining. Someone mentioned they may adopt this in the future?? That would be alot better.

#11     Sep 10, 2005
  2. I never traded European style options before. How one can lock the intraweek Gamma profit or adjust long Delta position in this case? If SPX goes up , should I buy next week put? Should I short stock? Or maybe I should use a stock as a leg when I take initial position?

#12     Sep 11, 2005
  3. MTE

MTE

Unless you exercised early you American-style options to lock in gains, I don't see how it would be different with European-style options!? :confused:

True, with index options you don't have the exact underlying, but this problem has nothing to do with options being European-style.

#13     Sep 11, 2005
  4. Does European-style exercise (ESE) mean that the options may only be exercised after the close of the last trading day?

How will ESE change option pricing, and trading?

#14     Sep 11, 2005
  5. you are right , I just got a bit confused with European style... Wow , what a great news , maybe one day they will do it on the equities level. Thanks

#15     Sep 11, 2005
  6. #16     Sep 12, 2005
  7. Isn't these new mini-SPX thingies essentially the same thing to SPY, as DJX options were to DIA??

As for the weeklies, imagine the spread plays on that! LOL

#17     Sep 12, 2005
  8. If you having success with "Buy Leaps , sell current month" strategy , you can do it 52 times a year instead of 12 now, lol

#18     Sep 12, 2005
  9. Huh, why in the world would you play them from the long side then? What I mean is Theta will be rapid if the option is OTM. Even if your playing deep ITM it sounds like a suckers game with 5 days in existence. I am sure many of you are more option savvy than me...thoughts?

#19     Sep 12, 2005
  10. Gamma is the opposite of theta. Lot's of bang for your buck. If you're right and it moves in your direction the rise will more than make up for your theta decay

#20     Sep 12, 2005