Weekly Poll: Market Is Flat Year-To-Date, Where To Next?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by shortie, Jul 23, 2010.

SPY Next Week?

Poll closed Jul 30, 2010.
  1. Bullish

30 vote(s)
    50.8%
  2. Flat

8 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. Bearish

15 vote(s)
    25.4%
  4. I prefer to keep my opinion to myself

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. yet another boring weekly poll...

not everybody can make money in this market, but everybody is allowed to vote. :D

good luck to everybody in the coming week!

2. It doesn't take a man to make a bullish call after the 1,100 resistance level was broken on the S&P500. All you women and girlies, who voted bullish, have the backseat, will ya?

3. KMAX

KMAX

ok, but I want a seat by the window :)

4. [​IMG]

QQQQ is above 200 dma, SPY and XLF are below. We are still in the bear market.

5. Most people are either bullish, or bearish at this point. I wouldn't be surprised to see the market become stagnant and trend sideways for the next 2-3 months.

6. This coming week could be critical. For the bulls, it has to move up, while for the bears it does not have to move down. This is not a bear market, but it could become one. I would be surprised if the upside is more than ~ 7% for the rest of the year. The latest bottom is also about ~7% away.

I would agree with those who would consider SPY117.5 and QQQQ 49 areas as ceilings for rest of the year.

PS: I am thinking about taking a break from ET. If I do, I wish all of you all the success in the markets and in whatever you do. For Shortie, keep up the good work, and ask ET to pay you an allowance for taking the lead on these threads.

7. If you want to take that bet, do it on the Russell 2k. Alone out of the indexes, it hasn't broken through the lows of February. Just because of the outperformance, if the market continues to rally hard it will be less so here, as on bounces people tend to buy the stuff that fell the hardest.
    So, an IC on the Rus2k will likely make money on either a rally or on a sideways movement. A down movement, though, would probably see the Rus2k move down a lot faster than the others, just because it has held up relatively well: the market will want to even that out.

8. I am not shorting this market until Cramer becomes over-confidently bullish. He does sound bullish judging by this quote, but is he over-confident?

July 20th:
    << The big turnover in the US economy will lead to dramatic turns down in valuations we suspect – and may finally destroy the world’s worst cult: the cult of equity, which has not basis in fact, or history, but yet seems universally accepted.

Cramer declared, "That is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time," and added, “When I got in, stocks were at 1,300 on the Dow. And, you know, it’s not a rounding error that they’re at 10,000.”>>
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/215...idest-thing-i-ve-heard-in-a-long-time-7-20-10

9. 1. Would the military exercises in Korean peninsula have any effects on the market?

2. Shortie: you used to collect poll results from another site. What happened to that practice?

3. I started a new thread, so for my friends on this thread, you are invited to stop by. It is on the topic of the most valuable things in trading:
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=203806

10. do you mean thestreet.com poll? it is very bullish

1 What would best describe your stance heading into the coming week of trading?

Bullish 60.72% 286 votes
    Bearish 29.29% 138 votes
    Neutral 9.97% 47 votes
    http://www.thestreet.com/stock-market-news/10603675/poll-bull-or-bear.html?kval=dontmiss

generally speaking the sentiment is mixed. depends on the metrics used with added uncertainty of the time of data collection:
    http://www.benzinga.com/10/07/393286/investor-sentiment-i-am-a-squirrel

1. dumb money is bearish
    2.smart money is neutral
    3.insiders are neutral
    4. Rydex bull/bear: bearish sentiment

#10     Jul 25, 2010