Weekly Poll: Dow Up 8 Weeks in a Row. Implications for the market?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by shortie, Jan 22, 2011.

SPY Next Week?

Poll closed Jan 29, 2011.
  1. Bullish

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. Flat

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  3. Bearish

18 vote(s)
    43.9%
  4. I prefer to keep my opinion to myself or don't have one

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. candles

candles

More than likely.
    Are you long?

#51     Jan 27, 2011
  2. S2007S

S2007S

My only long positions are UWM, XHB, FAS and EDC, the rest of my holdings are shorts.

As for tonight, I expect AMZN to just crush earnings, Could easily go to 205+ without any problems.

MSFT might have a little trouble from sales of Windows 7 but they always seem to have a decent earnings report which should send shares to $29+

SNDK and KLAC also have earnings as well which should move tech to the upside after the announcements. KLAC is expected to triple their earnings to a $1.05 and revenue to surge to over $720 million, they will easily come in with these earnings, no questions asked!!!

#52     Jan 27, 2011
  3. Sure can't. Never have claimed to. Don't even bother trying.

Isn't that exactly what you're trying to do with this thread?

Your thread title suggests that since the DOW has been up 8 weeks in a row, this somehow has implications as to the future direction of the DOW. I am telling you that what happened yesterday (or the past eight weeks) has absolutely no bearing on what will happen tomorrow (or the next eight weeks).

#53     Jan 27, 2011
  4. S2007S

S2007S

No one knows what tomorrow brings, for all we know the market could top off tomorrow morning and drop below 9000 over the next 6 months, no one knew where the bottom was and no one will know where the top is.

#54     Jan 27, 2011
  5. i believe (but i don't know for sure) that the market has some memory. maybe it is like a very retarded person who may remember and re-live only a few episodes while behaving unpredictably the rest of the time.

#55     Jan 27, 2011
  6. I think today showed gold is definitely in a bear market. The cause is what's interesting to the rest of the markets: the news is getting better.
    In a normal cycle, when the news gets better, folks start getting nervous about Fed rate hikes and the market has its classic 10% correction.
    So, the question for the next few weeks is going to be: is the end of QE the functional equivalent of tightening, and is that enough to warrant a standard issue correction?
    Of course, if the news gets worse (another European M-80 going off, China deciding on a truly massive tightening move, etc, etc), the markets sell off anyway. Which is just another way of saying a correction is brewing.

#56     Jan 27, 2011
  7. Cramer calls the top!

While the bears on The Street are growling about inflation fears, Cramer thinks 2011 is the year the torch of global growth will be passed from India and China to the U.S now that larger domestic companies are just beginning to restart hiring. He took issue with those quick to short stocks; "short bonds, don't short stocks...bonds are wrong.

"This is a powerful bull market," he declared, comparing it to similar markets of the 80s and 90s. The difference is the current bull market is broader than those in the past." http://seekingalpha.com/article/248983-cramer-s-stop-trading-this-is-a-powerful-bull-market-1-26-11

#57     Jan 27, 2011
  8. Candace

Candace

I'm wondering if the drop in gold and oil is the market's way of predicting a good GDP number tomorrow. Not sure about the US markets but imo TSX is a short here. I'm also buying USD against CAD.

#58     Jan 27, 2011
  9. noddyboy

noddyboy

How is he calling the top?

#59     Jan 27, 2011
  10. remember his ~ Apr 16 2010 call: "we are 6 months from prosperity!"?

#60     Jan 27, 2011