Weekly Poll: August Doldrums?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by shortie, Aug 7, 2010.

SPY Next Week?

Poll closed Aug 13, 2010.
  1. Bullish

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Flat

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  3. Bearish

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  4. I prefer to keep my opinion to myself

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. "CSCO and these 6 tech stocks will be higher a week from now

By James Altucher

Wow, those Cisco results were a total disaster, right? Cisco came out with their results and the stock instantly plummeted and S&P futures went down by 10 points. What a mess!

But wait, it wasn’t a disaster at all! CSCO revenues were up 27% and strong in every product and in every geography. Year over year income was up 79%. What happened? Why are things so down? Did earnings miss analyst estimates? No, earnings beat estimates by a penny? Did they miss on revenues?

Aha! Yes, they missed on revenues. We have found our culprit. Estimates expected $10.88bb and Cisco had $10.84bb in revenues. Ummm, I guess thats a miss? Less than 1% difference between actual and the estimate. In fact, less than 0.5%.

Rule of thumb, if the stock is down more than the perceived miss - its a buy." http://blogs.wsj.com/financial-advi...6-tech-stocks-will-be-higher-a-week-from-now/

#41     Aug 12, 2010
  2. Do you remember that guy and what he said on this forum? He "disappeared" immediately after his call on ET, and did not answer even when people wrote to him that he most likely have been reading but he does not respond. If he was right, you would have heard so much of his noise, you would want to disappear from ET forever.

#42     Aug 12, 2010
  3. 6 stocks from the article: CSCO, HPQ, DELL, AAPL, BRCM, XLNX. actually I agree with him that CSCO and HPQ should bounce. don't have an opinion about the other 4. CSCO flat today, HPQ +1.5%

#43     Aug 13, 2010
  4. today is clearly a bad karma day but the market is handling it ok. many superstitious traders i guess refused to participate today.

Events on August 13, 2010
    Berlin Wall Erected
    Blame Someone Else Day
    Canada: Abbotsford International Airshow
    Caxton, William (Birth Date)
    Central African Republic: Independence Day
    Friday the Thirteenth
    Ginza Holiday: Japanese Cultural Festival
    Hitchcock, Alfred (Joseph) (Birth Date)
    Hogan, Ben (Birth Date)
    Illinois State Fair
    Kool-Aid Days
    Krupp, Alfried Von Bohlen Und Halbach (Birth Date)
    Montanafair
    Montgomery County Agricultural Fair
    Oakley, Annie (150th Birth Anniversary)
    Scotland: Edinburgh International Festival
    Space Milestone: Helios Solar Wing
    Stone, Lucy (Birth Date)
    Tetonkaha Rendezvous
    Tunisia: Women's Day
    West Virginia State Fair

#44     Aug 13, 2010
  5. Ask those who heavily bought puts and straddles expiring today and, and they may tell you that today was an ugly day. They were planning to make a killing today. The 45 QQQQ straddle at 3PM yesterday was worth around 0.70 cents (it was insane because the next Friday straddle was worth around 1.25). Those who sold the today straddle made the killing.

#45     Aug 13, 2010