Weekly Options vs. Monthly Options?

Discussion in 'Options' started by JeffUSA, Aug 10, 2010.

Do you have a preference for Options?

1. Weekly Options

15 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. Monthly Options

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. No Preference

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  1. #11     Aug 12, 2010
  2. #12     Aug 12, 2010
  3. forexforex,
    ....how is the qqqq weeklys trading going?.....

....some other good candidates for weekly trades, aapl, bidu, goog....

#13     Sep 29, 2010
  4. #14     Sep 30, 2010
  5. Sorry I've been away. Options data from cme is very nice. The difference is es options are available consistently when equity weeklies come online with a week to go.

My preference is to set up a fly on Monday and trade around it. Keep it on a short leash.

...and do whatever atticus says...lol.

#15     Oct 3, 2010
  6. I do credit spreads on monthly RUT & NDX options. I voted "no preference" because I am ignorant of the trade-offs between monthlies and weeklies. Perhaps this thread will begin my education.

#16     Oct 3, 2010
  7. i dipped into weeklies for the first time this week. my initial impression is they are not for me. i bought a SLV call and an SPY call, they went profitable the first day but because of the volatility this week they became worthless quite quickly. now my first issue was my mistake, greed and i should have taken my profit and moved on. the second issue i had is that with this market, only having a couple of days to recover when things get volatile against the trend you really dont have time to get the reversal.

so right now my feelings are to stay with the monthly and move in and out as the circumstances dictate. this way, if it moves too quickly to take the profit, i still have a window to recover from.

if anyone has feelings either way, please respond.

#17     May 13, 2011
  8. KevinO

KevinO

Why not be on the other side of the trade if they became worthless quite quickly?

#18     May 14, 2011
  9. hajimow

hajimow

No difference about weekly and monthly options in terms of time value. Weekly options have one week or less left and monthly options have more time. Don't make it complicated for yourself. Monthly options become weekly options on their last week.

#19     May 14, 2011
  10. hajimow

hajimow

I do a combination of weekly and monthly. I am sure many do the same. For example Buying Monthly call and selling weekly call to reduce cost. So you cannot definitley say weekly options are profitable or monthly. It depends.

#20     May 14, 2011