Weekly AAPL Butterfly Ideas from Jeff Augen

Discussion in 'Options' started by comintel, Sep 6, 2012.

1. I doubt that Jeff Augen trades what he writes or talks about. He might take the other side of the trade. I have listened to his webinar in real time and watched AAPL's fly "decay".
    There was no decay, the first week the fly lost huge, second and third weeks the fly began to decay only on Tuesday or Wednesday. Option markets price new weeklys with lower IV voiding any decay through the weekend, but the short gamma exposes the fly buyer to high risk. He promotes myths of easy money.

#31     Sep 9, 2012

2. I agree with that totally.. but you can make money trading flys on the weeklies

#32     Sep 9, 2012
  3. Yes, they might be profitable, because of the flat skew, so the fly usually is not overpriced.

#33     Sep 9, 2012
  4. axolotls

axolotls

Did three trades using what he talked about. None of them went into the green. However, this is a pretty low risk/low reward strategy.

#34     Sep 11, 2012
  5. I don't see how you could finish 3 trades so fast. Where the all AAPL butterflies?

#35     Sep 11, 2012
  6. axolotls

axolotls

His strategy was to open Thursday. However, we had jobs report coming so waited until Friday to open. He recommended closing Friday also or hold over the weekend but to get out no later than Tuesday morning before time decay acceleration. Not the ideal time to do these since this week has iPhone5, Bernanke, Germany all flapping around.

#36     Sep 11, 2012
  7. But this thread is only 4 trading days old.

#37     Sep 11, 2012
  8. axolotls

axolotls

The webinar was broadcast more than three weeks ago. ;)

#38     Sep 12, 2012
  9. And brought to ET's attention 4 trading days ago. If you saw it when it was first broadcast why didn't you mention it? Option flies are very popular on ET.

:)

#39     Sep 12, 2012
  10. axolotls

axolotls

<---- Only been on here for a week or so? See joined date. LOL

#40     Sep 12, 2012