Weekly AAPL Butterfly Ideas from Jeff Augen

Discussion in 'Options' started by comintel, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Any book on options would include the basic option strategies, such as selling straddles/strangles. Plus the publisher would want an x amount of pages and if the writer only includes is favorite strategies then the book might be a little thin.

:)

#11     Sep 7, 2012
  2. axolotls

axolotls

Nah. He was only discussing ratio trades, strangles/straddles. Nothing else.

e.g. he would've bought long straddle in the a.m., sell at a cross then near the end of the day sell a short straddle. etc etc.

but according to that last link, he's moved on to week before fly's etc.

#12     Sep 7, 2012
  3. good stuff...

#13     Sep 7, 2012
  4. I've read most if not all of Augens books.. unless there are some I don't know about.. I've been playing in weekly on aapl since I've started practically .. which isn't saying much... I have considered a lot of what he has said... the guy shorts a lot of vol at expiration or goes long straddles ans strangles day of expiration..
    Sometimes he's doing 1x3 buy writes into expiration..fuck being short that many calls! He talks a good bit about MasterCard options... which have shitty liquidity comparitively to Google and aapl

#14     Sep 7, 2012
  5. By the way the guy talks about doing the 1x3 over night at expiration..fuck that

#15     Sep 7, 2012
  6. Yes, he says in the webinar that it is only in the past 6 months to a year that he has adopted the new approach.

He implies or says that he is no longer using the approaches in his book. It is interesting that most people are undoubtedly still reading his book without knowing that. He does say that this webinar was a way to let people know.

It is evident that he does very comprehensive statistical studies of option prices. He talks about how precisely aligned many prices are to their theoretical values, yet with the weeklies often underpriced currently. It is evident that he is basing his views not just on his trading results, but on very comprehensive statistical studies.

I guess there is a risk that this behavior will change again, and the best way to know on a timely basis might be to do your own studies. Probably some people who are active traders can do it by market feel too.

#16     Sep 7, 2012
  7. His book on excel shows pretty clearly what your saying about the noise of Theo pricing at expire..
    His books are repetitive... but talebs are a bit to and I love his
    I actually post a lot of graphs on trades that are a direct influence of his theory... a good strangle at expire can pay out big... days like last Fridays fed meeting where there's tons of macro activity are crazy good..

#17     Sep 7, 2012
  8. Thanks for the info - I am going to get his Excel book too then as I want to try to duplicate his research approach.

So far I have read one or two of his other books but not that one.....

#18     Sep 7, 2012
  9. Anybody know where to find any information the his day trade indicators he talks about in the program?

#19     Sep 8, 2012
  10. Augen seems to change his opinion of what works and what doesn't faster then you can keep up with.

Makes me suspect that he's telling tales to sell books and probably is eating dinner with this guy:

[​IMG]

Wouldn't be the first time.

#20     Sep 9, 2012